Visiting Indiana with an out of state CCW permit.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Visiting Indiana with an out of state CCW permit....

This is a discussion on Visiting Indiana with an out of state CCW permit.... within the Indiana Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Basicly, your carry within the borders of the republic of Indiana is dictated by the lowest common denominator between state ...

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

Basicly, your carry within the borders of the republic of Indiana is dictated by the lowest common denominator between state law (which preempts local law in all but a small handful of narrowly defined circumstances (IC 35-47-11.1-4)) and the constraints of your own permit system.

I do so love that reciprocity map. Click "Permits Honored by State". Click "Indiana", and the map turns into a sea of blue. The key exceptions are Illinois and Vermont. Illinois, because carrying a firearm in public there is so verbotten that it's not even possible to get a license to carry. Vermont, because carrying a firearm in public there is so completely unregulated that they don't even HAVE licenses to carry. People from the Northern Marianas Islands and American Samoa are in the same boat as Illinois.

This does, however, underscore the issue of being licensed. Just because Indiana honors a license to carry a handgun from your state speaks not one word to how easy or difficult it is for you to obtain such a license from your state. May-Issue states are still May-Issue even if you just want to use the license to carry on visits to the Hoosier state. I'd love to see a clause added to Indiana's reciprocity law that a state-issued identification document from a state with Constitutional Carry shall be treated as a license to carry a handgun under that state's Constitutional Carry terms. That would at least open up Indiana carry to visitters from Vermont.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Default Was given a gun in Ohio by grandpa no paperwok

Hi y'all I received a gun from my grandpa who is on his death bed in Ohio.The gun is 26 yrs old with no paper work. How do I go about making this fun legal in Indiana? Thank you for any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    IN honors ALL other states' permits.

IN does have a stipulation that how you carry in IN depends on the permit you are carrying with. If you permit is a "Concealed Carry" permit then you must conceal. It is is merely a "Carry" permit than you can OC or CC.
    People keep repeating this but I can't see how Indiana can enforce another states law. I'm from Michigan and open carry in Indiana. Yes my license is CALLED a conceal license but it does allow us to open carry in our pistol free zones. Do you have any examples of someone being prosecuted for open carry in Indiana?
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    People keep repeating this but I can't see how Indiana can enforce another states law. I'm from Michigan and open carry in Indiana. Yes my license is CALLED a conceal license but it does allow us to open carry in our pistol free zones. Do you have any examples of someone being prosecuted for open carry in Indiana?

I didn't understand it either...but looking at the statute...

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    The bold is what someone pointed out to me.

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

Thing is, if your permit/license gives you more privileges than the Indiana LTCH does, then you can't exercise those privileges in Indiana. In truth, it's a common denominator thing. If both your permission slip and the Indiana LTCH permit carry in a manner, carry in a place, carry of a thing, then you can do it in Indiana with your out-of-state/international gun thingy. If either Indiana's laws or the laws under which you operate at home does not permit a thing, then you can't do it in Indiana with your non-Hoosier gun thingy.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

A permit in Indiana is not "concealed" or "open" carry, it is a permit to carry a deadly weapon. It does not matter now you wish to carry, if you have a permit in Indiana you can carry a gun however you are most comfortable. I sometimes carry concealed, but mostly I use an OWB holster for my .45 and wear a jacket to cover it. It's sort of concealed but not "deep concealment" by any means. I tend to believe that if a bad guy sees my weapon he is much less likely to target me or anyone near me.
    Cathy is correct, if you have a permit from another state which does not allow you to conceal the weapon, then you can't conceal it in Indiana. I don't think there is any reason to question these laws. We are all responsible people who carry guns, I say we all just follow the rules and do what the state we are going through or visiting asks. I travel through Ohio quite often and I do not carry my weapon in Ohio. However I must say that when I visit Illinois I do not always follow the rules, just because I refuse to bow down to an unjust state government.

Quote Originally Posted by theohiostate77 View Post
    Hi y'all I received a gun from my grandpa who is on his death bed in Ohio.The gun is 26 yrs old with no paper work. How do I go about making this fun legal in Indiana? Thank you for any assistance.
    There is nothing that needs to be done in Indiana to make it legal. Guns are not registered in Indiana, only people.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    IN honors ALL other states' permits.

IN does have a stipulation that how you carry in IN depends on the permit you are carrying with. If you permit is a "Concealed Carry" permit then you must conceal. It is is merely a "Carry" permit than you can OC or CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I have a WA Concealed Pistol License. My license provides me with the OPTION of concealing the gun, if I choose to, but does NOT require me to conceal my gun, neither in Washington nor in Indiana. The terms of my license are that it is for me only, not transferrable, and expires in June, 2013.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Steon is offline NRA Member & Freemason

From IN FAQ's

What states honor my Indiana handgun license?
    Published 05/19/2009 07:25 AM | Updated 01/21/2011 07:05 AM
    What states honor my Indiana handgun license?

Indiana honors all other states handgun licenses. Not all other states honor Indiana’s
    license. Websites and organizations such as the NRA do attempt to track this
    information. Each state regulates this area differently and there is no obligation for one
    state to notify another state of any change in their law; therefore the department does
    not attempt to track this information.

Note: Illinois issues a Firearms Owners Identification (FOI) card. This card relates to
    the purchasing of firearms, not a permit to routinely carry a handgun and is therefore is
    not honored as such in Indiana.

Additional information or questions contact Indiana State Police @ 317- 232-8264.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12