Ideas for 2-3 Hour Range Instruction Events
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisFry

Ideas for 2-3 Hour Range Instruction Events

This is a discussion on Ideas for 2-3 Hour Range Instruction Events within the Instructors Corner forums, part of the Main Category category; I hold semi-annual range days in our local area with the purpose of building community and introducing people to the ...

Default Ideas for 2-3 Hour Range Instruction Events

I hold semi-annual range days in our local area with the purpose of building community and introducing people to the sport of shooting. Several have asked about alternative training/coaching sessions in 2 or 3 hour blocks - they still want to attend the range day but are interested in moving to the next level. However, they don't have the time or money to attend a full-day/multi-day training.

I'd like to start with several 2-3 hour instructional defensive handgun range events, where each event focuses on a shooting fundamental. I am thinking this will be a quarterly series and each series would have a specific theme.
    • Has anyone developed anything like this?
    • What skills would you recommend I include?
    • If you are a new shooter, what would attract you to attend something like this?

Appreciate any comments or questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Regular_Joe View Post
    I hold semi-annual range days in our local area with the purpose of building community and introducing people to the sport of shooting. Several have asked about alternative training/coaching sessions in 2 or 3 hour blocks - they still want to attend the range day but are interested in moving to the next level. However, they don't have the time or money to attend a full-day/multi-day training.

I'd like to start with several 2-3 hour instructional defensive handgun range events, where each event focuses on a shooting fundamental. I am thinking this will be a quarterly series and each series would have a specific theme.
    • If you are a new shooter, what would attract you to attend something like this?

Hi Joe,

We have been conducting a "Monthly Pistol Skills Workshop" for about 4 years now. It is mostly a winter months event here in NY because during the summer/nicer weather people are generally busier and I am very busy conducting mobile training classes. In 2009 we started conducting a similar event but its a monthly carbine workshop.

Anyway, we start off with a fundamental and combative marksmanship workshop. This acclimates people to what and how we teach and the fundamental material. Then, we pursue other subjects. Some of the topics for the monthly workshops include: Low Light, Shooting on the Move, Proper Use of Barricades, Support Hand & Bilateral Pistol Operation and Force-On-Force scenarios.

Hope this helps,
    Chris
    Chris Fry
    Director- Modern Defensive Training Systems, LLC
    CFry@mdtstraining.com

We run what we call mini classes. We cover the basics of the draw, house clearing, malfunctions, etc. They are a fun and cheap way for people in our area to learn new skills.
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

The NSSF First Shots program is excellent for people who are curious about handguns and want to give it a try. They have also developed a a follow-up course to introduce centerfire handguns. The NSSF will help you organize the courses and even provide a grant for expenses.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

clking9mm is offline clking9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Regular_Joe View Post

Have you heard of the IDPA (not sure if the accronym is correct)? It is the International Disciplinary Pistol Association. Call Gunslingers in Amarillo, TX for more information. It is very educational, hands on type scenarios in an indoor & outdoor setting. There are a lot of Good Shooters in this organization. The point of each exercise is to make your own score better. It is not so focused on beating another persons score, but to improve your skills in the event you have to draw your weapon. I was a member for a while & loved it. My back & neck injury has prevented me from going back at this time.

G50AE is offline Banned

Thumbs up Idpa

Quote Originally Posted by clking9mm View Post
    Have you heard of the IDPA (not sure if the accronym is correct)? It is the International Disciplinary Pistol Association. Call Gunslingers in Amarillo, TX for more information. It is very educational, hands on type scenarios in an indoor & outdoor setting. There are a lot of Good Shooters in this organization. The point of each exercise is to make your own score better. It is not so focused on beating another persons score, but to improve your skills in the event you have to draw your weapon. I was a member for a while & loved it. My back & neck injury has prevented me from going back at this time.
    Actually it's the International Defensive Pistol Association. They have a website International Defensive Pistol Association which provides a lot of good information about their matches.

Quote Originally Posted by clking9mm View Post
    Have you heard of the IDPA (not sure if the accronym is correct)?
    Yes - International Defensive Pistol Association. I would like to host an IDPA event at some point at our informal shooting range - I just joined IDPA and am looking for an event in my local area. However, I think first we are going to lead a few rounds to build fundamental skills.

Thanks for the ideas, friends
    Cheers,
    Joe Short
    First Defense, LLC (Culpeper, Virginia)

Does IDPA have instructor training and certifications?

Thanks

Brownie222