Self defense drills....let's share some of our techniques to help each other
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Self defense drills....let's share some of our techniques to help each other

This is a discussion on Self defense drills....let's share some of our techniques to help each other within the Instructors Corner forums, part of the Main Category category; I am completely self taught for handgun tactics and military trained with the M-16. My last two qualifying targets with ...

Default Self defense drills....let's share some of our techniques to help each other

I am completely self taught for handgun tactics and military trained with the M-16. My last two qualifying targets with the M-16 were 49 out of 50 and 50 out of 50.

(my last two targets)

Where I feel like I am lacking in technique, is with the handgun. My aim is fine and so are my groupings. Since I am self taught, my drills can only improve with versatility.

Mostly, I use two spinning targets and use different positions such as dropping to the ground, shooting on my side, creeping around my truck and shooting each target once, and numerous other walking techniques with quick double taps and lots of practice with my draw. And of course, I do the normal stand still, draw and shoot for precision. I do have a few other drills as well but feel I am robbing myself of more useful techniques.

I know those don't sound all that intriguing to some but it does help me.

I am hoping some of you will share some techniques that can help all of us.

Number one: If someone drools and says "Brainssss" shoot them in the head.

Blog Entries

Try shooting a target with it totally behind cover. Sorry just kidding but you do realize the arguments you are starting.

I like practicing from different positions-right/left hands-kneeling-prone-from doorways-etc. A neat economical trick to learn point shooting is to toss a can out about 10-20 feet and keep it rolling/tumbling. Will not be long till you can hit it w/o thinking. Use one pistol and get used to it very well. In a pinch you will not be trying to function from memory of another style of handgun. Work till it comes out of holster smoothly and onto target w/o aiming.

i'm at the stage of wearing my gun holstered around the house without any ammo just drawing and aiming for now
    i think the best way for me to carry my type gun is one in chamber and safety already off being my trigger is tight and won't go bang unless it's pulled but if i ever have to fire it i would reholster after putting the safety on
    eventually i'll go to an outdoor range where i can practice tactical moves and shooting multiple targets on the move
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Remember to slice the pie.......One of the better article on this topic.
    Slicing the Pie
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

''Remember to slice the pie.......''
    newbie to gun lingo please tell me what that means
    thanks
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Self imposed practice usually results in practicing that which we are good at. The answer is to shoot with a partner (who can act as a coach) and practice what your bad at.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Shoobee is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    i'm at the stage of wearing my gun holstered around the house without any ammo just drawing and aiming for now
    i think the best way for me to carry my type gun is one in chamber and safety already off being my trigger is tight and won't go bang unless it's pulled but if i ever have to fire it i would reholster after putting the safety on
    eventually i'll go to an outdoor range where i can practice tactical moves and shooting multiple targets on the move
    Make sure you use snapping caps inside your gun to protect the firing pin.

Use a mirror, and practice it in very slow motion concentrating on smoothness.

Then speed up bit by bit.

See how fast you can go without dropping it.

Watch where it is pointing, it should be pointing at your chest in the mirror.

Watch where your shooting hand is. It should be just above your holster, no further up or forward.

When you can do all this, find a friend to go with you or an instructor, and go somewhere you can shoot alone, like BLM or USFS land, pin a target on a tree trunk, and practice shooting it with live ammo, one bullet at a time.

Be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot.

Your friend should be far enough away and behind you, with a first aid kit, in case you do, to take you to the hospital.

When you get really good at this, you should be able to pin an inflated baloon to the tree trunk and explode it in less than 1/2 second.

The time it takes to say "one" as in "one thousand one."

Most ranges will never let you try this, because it is all too dangerous.

But better safe than unprepared.

Shoobee is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Self imposed practice usually results in practicing that which we are good at. The answer is to shoot with a partner (who can act as a coach) and practice what your bad at.
    Preferably your partner would be a firearms instructor of some kind, civilian or military or police.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast