Any reload classes in fl?

Any reload classes in fl?

This is a discussion on Any reload classes in fl? within the Instructors Corner forums, part of the Main Category category; Hey guys , Just moved to fl near Tampa and I am thinking of learning how to reload! I have ...

Default Any reload classes in fl?

Hey guys ,
    Just moved to fl near Tampa and I am thinking of learning how to reload!
    I have a G23 and G29 and like to save some money and shoot more !
    Anyone know of any classes offered for this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

From the NRA site. They seem to have quite a few dates for classes... Good luck.

Course Title:
    NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course

Florida Security & Firearms Training
    2075 Broadway
    Fort Myers, FL 33901

Instructor Info
    W DEAN
    239-357-3437
    alecs@internationalfirearmsafety.com
    "A gun is a tool. No better or no worse than the man using it." Shane

I am certified to teach reloading but I have yet to find any interest in attending classes anywhyere. Most folks just pick up a reloading book and teach themselves. I think one of the problems is that you have to carry serious insurance to teach that course since you could be working with explosive materials.
    All The Best
    Gunz

How much do you shoot?
    If you only shoot 100 rounds a month or so the savings will not add up that fast unless you get used and cheap supplies. And shoot large calibers.
    The average reloading kit (not including dies) is about $200 plus $40 for every die set for every caliber you shoot.

And depending on whos class you take you have to pay for that too.

Your best bet is to watch some YouTube videos and visit forums around the internet that pertain to reloading. Iraqveteran8888 has some great videos ( ) about reloading. Just take it slow, don't make any quick decisions about your first press\dies\supplies until you read up on everything. Thankfully we have the internet where we can find out from others what they've bought and found they need and don't need, and you'll be quick to see there's a lot of stuff out there you really don't need.

As nraynes said, if you shoot 100 rounds a month, say it's 9mm or .223, you will not save money. If you're shooting 168gr FMMG .308 @ $1/ea, you will save money quickly; I reload that cartridge for $.40/ea.

However, look at it this way: reloading is another hobby you can add to your list of hobbies. Not only do I find it enjoyable, I find it relaxing and very satisfying to know the round I just made a .25" group @ 100yds with, I spent 3 months tweaking. It's my round, tailored for my rifle and it may shoot like crap in your rifle.

For a quick price breakdown, let's say you were going to reload that 168gr .308 round I make, based off my start up costs.

Lee Anniversary Kit - $100
    RCBS .308 dies - $50
    Portable workbench - $50
    RCBS powder trickler - $15
    Calipers - $10

That's it.. the anniversary kit comes with almost every you need, minus the length guide for the case trimmer ($5) and a shell holder ($3-5). The scale and powder measure suck, but they do and will work for the time being until you figure out if you want to buy better equipment. Some might suggest starting with a higher end kit, such as an RCBS Rock Chucker, but should you decide you don't like reloading $100 is easier to swallow than $200-300+. You don't need a tumbler either to start out, use Dawn dish soap to soak\wash the crap off the cases and bake them at 250F for 15-20 minutes to dry them. If you want super clean cases, use the shell holder from the case trimmer, chuck it in your drill, and use 0000 steel wool and maybe some brass polish with a cloth. It won't look as nice as a tumble in stainless steel media, but it also isn't extremely expensive.

On to supplies for the bullet:
    1lb Varget Powder (enough for 160 rounds) - $27 (at store rate)
    Hornady 168gr BTHP per 100 - $33 (at store rate)
    Federal Match Primers per 1000 - $43 (at store rate)
    As for cases I usually use LC brass I've taken from the Ultramax bulk packs. I don't include them in my price, but so far at basic store prices each round is $.54. Buy in bulk like I do from somewhere such as Powder Valley, and you're down to $.40.

That means to break even on my initial cost of $200, I need to shoot ~325 rounds. Shoot something that's semi-hard to find like .300BLK, .458 SOCOM, .50 BEOWULF, .50AE, or the big-boy .500 S&W that's $3/ea, you will break even much sooner. Even in .40S&W, I'm reloading for $.12/rd where commercial ammo is $.32/rd.

Now here's the alternative side. If you shoot .223, it will take roughly 1,500-2,000 rounds to break even. Shoot something even cheaper like 9mm, and you may never break even.

You may not still be following this or have already made your decision, but if you are and haven't, I hope I provided a little something to think about.
    Last edited by Etkini; 08-23-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added a couple things.

Your best bet would be to join a range such as the Wyoming Antelope Club (WAC) that is near you! Make a few friends and have an experienced reloader help you set-up the machine and guide you through the reloading process! That's what I did! BTW I'm with the Hernando Sportsman Club!