Gun shot wound and First aid training

Thread: Gun shot wound and First aid training

Default Gun shot wound and First aid training

I am seeking training for gun shot wounds and first aid training. Not sure where to look if there is any instructor That knows of a good DVD program or better yet a hand on program in the Kentucky area that would be Great Thank you for your time

Take an American Heart Association First-Aid/CPR course. They will teach everything you need to know to manage a gun shot wound and other trauma until professional help arrives.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Go to Amazon and search for gunshot wound first aid. There are a number of DVD's that will come up.

This is the class you want. Suarez International Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator.
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

I second the AHA course. Try and find a course taught by a paramedic. Ask specifically before class, preferably a week or so before, to go over gun shot wounds.

The last course I taught was for a gymnastics academy, they asked me a month in advance for specifically training for spinal injuries in a gym.

Gun shot wounds are pretty easy to take care of though.

Appendage: direct pressure with dressing, if it continues to bleed apply a tourniquet approximately 2" proximal to the wound (if a joint is 2"away, apply proximal to the joint.) Write down the time the tourniquet was put on.

Chest/neck wound: direct pressure with occlusive dressing. If you have the equipment and training, listen to lung sounds. If a tension pneumo or hemo thorax develops, apply a one way valve. If you want more information on this ask and I will get more in depth.

Abdomen: direct pressure with trauma or abdominal dressing. Hold pressure until advanced care.

All patients need a large bore iv with fluid wide open. Treat for shock (flat with or without legs slightly up), keep them warm, keep them calm, check vitals every few minutes [pulse rate, pulse quality, pulse rhythm, blood pressure, oximetry, lung sounds, cms in extremities: circulation, motion, sensory])

If bones are shattered, splints will need to be applied. Remember, there will be no pulse on extremities with a tourniquet on.

If patient goes into shock or the heart stops, start CPR immediately and get an aed defribrillating asap.

I have no experience with clotting agents, ie: quick clot...so if people have info on that, share it please.

Just a very quick summary. If I have more time I'll add more later.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you all for your help

Would recommend Hands on training videos ok but you need hands on.