Iowa vehicle carry

Iowa vehicle carry

This is a discussion on Iowa vehicle carry within the Iowa Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I am passing thru Iowa (only 10 miles worth) and have looked at Iowa law best I can. From what ...

Default Iowa vehicle carry

I am passing thru Iowa (only 10 miles worth) and have looked at Iowa law best I can.
    From what I see, even though I am a MO CCW holder, in Iowa, in my vehicle, gun must be unloaded and not close enough to reach by driver or passenger, and ammo must be separate and the same. Just want to make sure. I guess I will have to make a quick stop, disarm, unload and lock, drive 10 miles then rearm in NE.
    I'm not sure if all the updating for 'peacable journey' has been done if needed since Iowa will be having shall issue start in 2011.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    I am passing thru Iowa (only 10 miles worth) and have looked at Iowa law best I can.
    From what I see, even though I am a MO CCW holder, in Iowa, in my vehicle, gun must be unloaded and not close enough to reach by driver or passenger, and ammo must be separate and the same. Just want to make sure. I guess I will have to make a quick stop, disarm, unload and lock, drive 10 miles then rearm in NE.
    I'm not sure if all the updating for 'peacable journey' has been done if needed since Iowa will be having shall issue start in 2011.
    Thanks

Since you are passing thru IA...the IA law doesn't really matter. The federal law covers you.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Gun must be unloaded but Ammo does NOT need to be separate.

As of Jan 1, 2011 IA will honor your MO permit.