What states have mandatory ID check? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What states have mandatory ID check?

This is a discussion on What states have mandatory ID check? within the LEO Encounters forums, part of the Main Category category; So wouldnt there have to be laws that require you to acctually have identification on you at all times. Sorry, ...

So wouldnt there have to be laws that require you to acctually have identification on you at all times.

Sorry, but there are many times im out and dont even have my wallet on me. At that point the LEO would be sol on identifying me.

The key is IF the LEO has PC to stop/question. Terry Law also states that LEO's can "PAT" down one's person for "Officer Safety". I would be careful about practicing Law on the Street. (MYSELF included) You could be impeding an investigation by refusing to ID yourself and or prove with State issued ID. Why poke a grizzly if you don't need to. Comply up until the point of uneasiness.
    All this is IF you are NOT CC in SC. If you are CC you must by law ID yourself as CC and present proof. I personally would advise the LEO I'm CC and await his direction.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I don't know if the law has changed, but when I was with the Dallas PD in the 1970's, if I asked someone to provide me with identification and they either refused to provide it or provided incorrect ID, I could and did, many times, take them to jail.

The charge was failure to identify. Intentional refusal to give the true name and address to a peace officer when lawfully stopped and asked.

Default in MS

In MS if a leo asks for an id, and you are carrying, you must show proper id and your firearms permit. However you are allowed to have a gun in the auto without a permit.

In Michigan I believe you must provide ID if an LEO asks for it. If not, I believe additional charges could be filed.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    I don't know if the law has changed, but when I was with the Dallas PD in the 1970's, if I asked someone to provide me with identification and they either refused to provide it or provided incorrect ID, I could and did, many times, take them to jail.

The charge was failure to identify. Intentional refusal to give the true name and address to a peace officer when lawfully stopped and asked.
    Thankfully things have changed. No authority to ask for ID for a simple stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    In Michigan I believe you must provide ID if an LEO asks for it. If not, I believe additional charges could be filed.
    Nope.

Tennessee is a curious mixture of laws.

We are not a stop and identify state (thanks for the wikipedia link), and neither are folks holding CWP, CCW, etc (here it's called an HCP, or, Handgun Carry Permit) required to inform the officer they are carrying.

HOWEVER.

The carriage of a loaded handgun is illegal in TN, regardless of if you have said license. The license becomes a legal defense.

READ: if an officer sees or suspects I am carrying, like when I open carry, he may stop and ask me to produce an HCP (or equivalent). Carrying the gun is illegal. Carrying an HCP with the gun is the get out of jail free card and makes it okay.

It sounds more confusing than it works out.

Here in Vermont, you don't have to show any id just if asked by a LEO. He has to have RAS, it is against the 4th amendment for an officer to ask just run you through the system. We also don't have an CC/OC permits in Vermont. So even if they do stop you you don't have to tell them your are carrying. It is common courtesy to do so, but you don't have too. Most LEO's know that anyways so they hardly ever give you a second glance if you do OC around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Nope.

I'm not sure about if your ID is requested, but you do have to inform if you are carrying while stopped by a LEO.
    George Washington: “They may pass a law to issue paper money, but 20 laws will not make the people receive it. Paper money is founded upon fraud and knavery.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast