Police Stop; Everyone Cuffed
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Police Stop; Everyone Cuffed

This is a discussion on Police Stop; Everyone Cuffed within the LEO Encounters forums, part of the Main Category category; Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber - ABC News Do you find this one ...

MI .45 is offline MI .45

Default Police Stop; Everyone Cuffed

Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber - ABC News

Do you find this one disturbing? I'm as pro-LEO as they come but some of the things police departments are doing these days is beyond the pale. Cops can always say that it's "for the officers protection" but what about "the peoples rights protections".

I for one am completely against cuffing citizens at potential interception points and am completely stupefied as to how this could happen in our country, how limited the outcry, the police dept. justification, and the lack of coverage of such an outrageous violation of personal and constitutional rights.

Your comments... I would especially like to hear the comments of current and former law enforcement.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

It kind of sounds rather Gestapoish to me.

Was this guy a killer, did he shoot anyone or did he just rob a bank and injure no one. I don't see the urgency of it all. What was to stop this guy from having a shootout with LEO's when they approached him? He was the last person cuffed, so if he decided to shoot it out with LE, here's all these people standing around with handcuffs becoming targets.

So a bad guy is suspected of being in an Airport Terminal. Do they rush in, handcuff all the passengers, halt all flights/or not, search everyone which would take hours. Then ruin everybody's planned flight at the passengers expense. It can only just keep getting worse if not stopped.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by MI .45:318959
    Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber - ABC News

Do you find this one disturbing? I'm as pro-LEO as they come but some of the things police departments are doing these days is beyond the pale. Cops can always say that it's "for the officers protection" but what about "the peoples rights protections".

I for one am completely against cuffing citizens at potential interception points and am completely stupefied as to how this could happen in our country, how limited the outcry, the police dept. justification, and the lack of coverage of such an outrageous violation of personal and constitutional rights.

Your comments... I would especially like to hear the comments of current and former law enforcement.
    Doesn't surprise me one bit. If there was someone who said, "no you can't cuff me," there would be a number of people here who would say, "why? They just want to go home safe to their families. Comply and it won't waste more time. Blah blah."

as another member said in another thread, "they have to push their limits." What do you expect when people have that attitude? Little pushes everyday, until they feel they can do whatever they want.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, I guess, according to Flanmedic51 standards, this is just another way for police to catch criminals.

If any of these people know anything at all about their 4th Amendment rights, there will be lots of lawsuits filed over this one.

Here's a pretty good analysis and good comments:
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/can...yone/#comments

I wonder what would have happened to those of us who routinely carry one or two loaded handguns on our person/in our vehicles?

Any rights attorney with half a brain will see this incident on the news and start trying to contact those persons detained to file lawsuits.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

I am very disturbed by the actions of the police in this situation! What's next? Neighborhood checkpoints? Random pat-downs? So much for "probable cause"! I am glad they were able to catch the culprit, but the ends DO NOT justify the means!!! As long as LEA's are allowed to use this type of tactics no one is safe from the Gestapo!!!

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Judge Napolitano was discussing this incident on Fox News earlier today.
    He said that this was a clear violation of the peoples Constitutional Rights.
    Even though the bad guy was ultimately caught, I would have to agree with Judge Napolitano.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by SCTaber:318981
    I am very disturbed by the actions of the police in this situation! What's next? Neighborhood checkpoints? Random pat-downs? So much for "probable cause"! I am glad they were able to catch the culprit, but the ends DO NOT justify the means!!! As long as LEA's are allowed to use this type of tactics no one is safe from the Gestapo!!!
    Come on now, there was probable cause. Everyone that was cuffed looked like the bank robber...duh. *Sarcasm*
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

As a ex-LEO it doesn't sound right.......but I guess you had to be there.

araczynski is offline NotASheep.Enabled = True;

clearly a case where everyone else should've gotten a 'get out of jail free' card for their troubles. I'd expect lawsuits out the wazoo out of this, probably all valid/warranted. it'd be one thing if this was some child molester/kidnapping, i don't think anyone would've objected, but for something like a bank robber??

The police called this investigative detention. As the judge said this morning on Fox if people are placed in restraints it is actually an arrest. It is a serious violation of Constitutional rights. He also mentioned the people could take legal action against the police for false arrest. This is an action that one would expect in a police state. The "gestapo" really oversteped their authority this time. If they are allowed to get away wih this violation of rights we are on a very slippery slope leading towards a police state. I would encourage every citizen involved should sue.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast