Grandma's Backyard...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Grandma's Backyard...

This is a discussion on Grandma's Backyard... within the LEO Encounters forums, part of the Main Category category; I was shooting my new XD .40 in my grandma's backyard shooting at a target with the ground as a ...

Default Grandma's Backyard...

I was shooting my new XD .40 in my grandma's backyard shooting at a target with the ground as a backdrop and a very large mound about 30 feet high or so in the background with nothing in between , her neighbor (who steals her chickens and eggs and also shoots in their back yard) called the Sheriff on me and he showed up about 2 hours after I had fired about 200 rounds. Anyway, he said there isn't any ordinance against firing my handgun in the area (which I already knew) he then insisted that I could have hit a house or someone else, I then explained that I was being very safe and that I never put anyone or anything in any danger. He said "well I'm not going to do anything about it today" (what could he do?) but told me I should find somewhere else to shoot my guns.

Should I keep shooting there since it is perfectly legal, and safe, or find somewhere else to shoot?

That was my first LEO encounter involving a firearm, and it didn't go badly, it just seems like the LEO was more trying to make someone else happy rather than allow or encourage people to take advantage of their rights, and current privileges.
    The miracle of Christ in me - Is the mystery that sets me free
    I'm nothing like I used to be - So open up your eyes you'll see

Keep shooting there. If everything you were doing is legal, then why change anything? The police can't do a thing about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If there is no ordinance or law that prohibits you from shooting there, then you are not obligated to obey the LEO. LEO can say whatever they want, but they cannot enforce their opinions or beliefs - only the law.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

If you do truly know that the neighbors 'who also shoot in their backyard' are the ones who 'complained', you should call the sheriff the next time they shoot in their backyard and ask what's the difference between them shooting, or you shooting. Also, it appears as if there is bad blood 'tween the two parties...e.g. 'they also steal Grammy's chicken and eggs'... the law should be called there too...so have this occurred, or not...and if not, why?

You can also call the local sheriff, and ask if its legal to shoot in your county, at the location where you are at, and if they say yes, then ask why you were advised to shoot somewhere else by a LEO representative.

Lots of time they do this sort of thing just to try to 'keep the peace', but actually, they haven't got the 'stroke' to enforce it....HOWEVER, pissing off a LEO can start a Pissin' Contest....and it probably ain't something you're gonna want to contend with.....but if you do push it, make sure all your duckies are in a row before hand and keep a cool head.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by GLADad View Post
    I was shooting my new XD .40 in my grandma's backyard shooting at a target with the ground as a backdrop and a very large mound about 30 feet high or so in the background with nothing in between , her neighbor (who steals her chickens and eggs and also shoots in their back yard) called the Sheriff on me and he showed up about 2 hours after I had fired about 200 rounds. Anyway, he said there isn't any ordinance against firing my handgun in the area (which I already knew) he then insisted that I could have hit a house or someone else, I then explained that I was being very safe and that I never put anyone or anything in any danger. He said "well I'm not going to do anything about it today" (what could he do?) but told me I should find somewhere else to shoot my guns.

Should I keep shooting there since it is perfectly legal, and safe, or find somewhere else to shoot?

That was my first LEO encounter involving a firearm, and it didn't go badly, it just seems like the LEO was more trying to make someone else happy rather than allow or encourage people to take advantage of their rights, and current privileges.
    Keep shooting. Sounds like the cop is either an anti, or he doesnt like responding to those kinds of calls.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Romans 12:18
    If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Romans 12:18
    If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men
    Yes, a wonderful scripture to be sure. However that should not be construed to mean it is necessary to kiss the arse of a jerk just to keep the peace. Sometimes jerks need a kick instead of a kiss to learn they too should put forth effort to keep the peace.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Yes, a wonderful scripture to be sure. However that should not be construed to mean it is necessary to kiss the arse of a jerk just to keep the peace. Sometimes jerks need a kick instead of a kiss to learn they too should put forth effort to keep the peace.
    I would walk over and talk to the people you (the OP) think called the cops and if nothing else works I would find someplace else to shoot.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

You were using the ground as a backstop? Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. You were, presumably, some distance away from your target which, if I understood correctly, was on the ground. If that is the case, I don't think you're aware of how well bullets ricochet, especially when presented with such an obtuse angle. Yes the mound of dirt some distance behind your target probably caught some, but not all of your rounds. If you want to really know how crazy and erratic the flight path of live rounds can be, even with a 90 degree perpendicular backstop, fire a bunch of tracers in low light. I'm not saying this to chastise you, but to educate you. I hope I misunderstood your description of the firing line
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

Like Jabatam, I'm curious as to the set-up here. How far from your firing position is the mound? It seems like that would be a more appropriate backstop than the ground.

If you're out shooting and get another visit from the law, you might ask if it is the neighbor you suspect of stealing chickens and eggs.. and that you know for a fact shoots in his/her own yard. You might also point out your suspicions about the chickens and eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast