License Check
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

License Check

This is a discussion on License Check within the LEO Encounters forums, part of the Main Category category; I live in North Carolina and right after I received my concealed carry permit I encountered a routine driver's license ...

Default License Check

I live in North Carolina and right after I received my concealed carry permit I encountered a routine driver's license check while on my way to Church on Sunday morning. I remembered from my class that when approached by a LEO by law I had to inform the officer I have a ccp and where my weapon is located. I handed my license to the officer and informed him that I had a concealed carry permit and where my weapon was located. He was OK with it and did not act like it bothered him at all. That made me feel better, because I was a little nervous not knowing how he was going to react.

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Most cops are good & decent people.
    But every once in a while you might encounter one of those dreaded 'egomaniacal pricks' with badges out there.
    Unfortunately there are a few bad apples within every profession.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

i'm glad we don't have to inform unless asked in florida
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanBill View Post
    I live in North Carolina and right after I received my concealed carry permit I encountered a routine driver's license check while on my way to Church on Sunday morning. I remembered from my class that when approached by a LEO by law I had to inform the officer I have a ccp and where my weapon is located. I handed my license to the officer and informed him that I had a concealed carry permit and where my weapon was located. He was OK with it and did not act like it bothered him at all. That made me feel better, because I was a little nervous not knowing how he was going to react.
    What's a routine drivers license check? You got pulled over or they had check points?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    What's a routine drivers license check? You got pulled over or they had check points?
    If its anything like here in Georgia you've got the right idea. Think sobriety checkpoint. They stop every passing car and check lisc. and registration. It was very much a shock from me after moving here from California. Now I hit 4 or 5 a year and just dont sweat it. It does do a good job of increasing the LEO return on violators and here they like to setup on residential through-ways where speed is a constant issue. It will hold the speed back a bit for a few months.

that kind of fishing expedition should be illegal
    gun control is being able to hit your target

here in NC it's a common thing .. they are looking for a number of things .. illegals, exp/no license, DUI etc ..
    i hit the checks at least 3 times a yr ..
    LoL .. the last time i went through one i had 3 rifles, 4 pistols, 2 revolvers and at least a 1000 rds of ammo .. i informed the officers that i had a CCP .. he said "do you have any firearms in the vehicle?" .. i laughed and said "a few" .. he glanced in the back seat and started laughing .. "WOW, i can see that .. have a good day" .. and away i went .. i have never had a bad experience yet with them so far .. treat them with respect and they will do the same in return ..

SB

In California the requirement to notify is not statewide, but determined by the Issuing Authority. The primary issuing authority is the county Sheriff or local PD Chief. I prefer to notify even though I am not required to by my issuing authority for officer safety (an my own) if pulled over. Over the years I do believe notifying has saved me a violation and made for a nice chat with a local state trooper.

The best way to notify, at least for me is to hand my permit with drivers license and ask how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    i'm glad we don't have to inform unless asked in florida
    Ditto in Washington. No duty to inform, and I'm glad.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    that kind of fishing expedition should be illegal
    Thank goodness in Washington it is illegal! As it should be. I don't care how "easy" it makes a police officer's job or how much "return" they get on violators, it should be illegal in America for police to detain a person for any length of time, for any reason, other than they have reasonable suspicion that the person has committed a crime.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

SR40c is offline Done told her once...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Ditto in Washington. No duty to inform, and I'm glad.

Thank goodness in Washington it is illegal! As it should be. I don't care how "easy" it makes a police officer's job or how much "return" they get on violators, it should be illegal in America for police to detain a person for any length of time, for any reason, other than they have reasonable suspicion that the person has committed a crime.
    Got that right. These so called random checkpoints are just ridiculous. Continuing to desensitize the public to the fact that they can do anything they want. Just another step closer to "Totalitarianism".

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast