Well that was fun, LEO Missouri - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Well that was fun, LEO Missouri

This is a discussion on Well that was fun, LEO Missouri within the LEO Encounters forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by Deserteagle let the OP take the gun out of his waist and put it on the seat. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    let the OP take the gun out of his waist and put it on the seat.
    Her waist
    "I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the "heck" they please".-John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by doublebarr View Post
    He replies exactly as I expected and was ready for, he says, "Actually, you are right but it is much safer for both of us if you inform me right away. I mean look, if I had left you in the vehicle and walked back here to write the ticket and then walked back up to you, while I was behind the trailer I couldn't easily see what you were doing and I wouldn't know if you had a weapon in your hands or not."
    Well....hmmmm. Let's see. The ONLY reason you had any weapon in your hand in the first place was BECAUSE you told the cop you had a gun and he told you to handle it The safest place for my gun is in the holster on my belt. PERIOD. The most assured way I have of keeping the gun in my holster on my belt is to keep my mouth shut about it when in the presence of ANY stranger, including those who wear a uniform and a badge.

Personally, I think you handled the situation exactly right - keep your mouth shut about your gun until such time as the officer is going to more likely than not find it anyway. I've been asked to exit the vehicle once while open carrying, but the officer never gave me a chance to tell him about my gun before he walked back to between our vehicles where we met. Since I could not legally leave my gun in the car, I simply got out and walked back to meet him. Not a word was said by either one of us about my openly carried Taurus PT-145.

Good for you, sounds like you gave the officer something real to think about.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Blog Entries

As a retired officer in Mo from one of our larger Cities I think that most officers make stops assuming that the stopped person is armed. In Mo any non felon and person of age can carry in the glove box of the car even if you are not a card carrier, and many do. Most of the officers that I know would appreciate knowing if there is a legal gun in the car or on a person. Illegal guns will never be spoken about by the carrier and usually will be found in a search under PC. If a person is carring legally and tells an officer about the weapon The Officer will usually go about his business without the lingering feeling is there something I'm missing on this stop, is there PC for me to do a search ect ect. If stopped at some point, early on, I will tell him I am carring.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_B View Post
    As a retired officer in Mo from one of our larger Cities I think that most officers make stops assuming that the stopped person is armed. In Mo any non felon and person of age can carry in the glove box of the car even if you are not a card carrier, and many do. Most of the officers that I know would appreciate knowing if there is a legal gun in the car or on a person. Illegal guns will never be spoken about by the carrier and usually will be found in a search under PC. If a person is carring legally and tells an officer about the weapon The Officer will usually go about his business without the lingering feeling is there something I'm missing on this stop, is there PC for me to do a search ect ect. If stopped at some point, early on, I will tell him I am carring.
    There are so many other things I can do to indicate to the officer that I am not intending to harm them, telling them about a gun that I lawfully posses and carry with a 99% chance they will never see or have reason to discover just isn't at the top of that list.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

What is the rationale between having to disclose to the officer that you're carrying a perfectly legal item and yet NOT having to disclose to the officer that you have 2kg of cocaine in the trunk or that you just kidnapped a 16yro cheerleader and are taking her to your evil hideout?

Anyone wanna take a crack at that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    What is the rationale between having to disclose to the officer that you're carrying a perfectly legal item and yet NOT having to disclose to the officer that you have 2kg of cocaine in the trunk or that you just kidnapped a 16yro cheerleader and are taking her to your evil hideout?

Anyone wanna take a crack at that?
    Because a law requiring a persom to confess to criminal activity to the police is a violation of the 5th Amendment. A law requiring a person to inform a police officer of perfectly legal activity does not violate the 5th amendment. The criminal has much more protection of their rights than law abiding citizens do. Isn't that the entire point of gun control laws? To hinder those people who obey laws from being a danger to society by possessing firearms that they would not use to commit a crime with anyway?

you have that right navylcdr! seems everything really is backwards these days

we have a 'criminal justice' system that ironically gives criminals more rights so long you part of the big agenda
    education system keeps us dumbed down and docile
    religious systems selling snake oil
    medical systems keep us consuming drugs we could do without
    governments that destroy our rights........
    all that just makes me smh however
    hearing the ops story and ones like it bring joy to my heart and sooths the soul and better than all the violent 'news' they use to make folks overly suspicious of everyone and all......not saying we should let down our guard but trust more your gut and instincts too
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Blog Entries

For the many reasons stated above Missouri does not require disclosure and Thats Good. My reply was baised only on my prespective as a Ret. officer. I have not been stopped yet after retirement and I guess the attitude of the officer may indicate what I will tell or not tell. One thing for sure pryor to a search of myself and my car I will disclose and show my card.

My guess is it is totally opposite of what he thinks he is saying. If you tell him up front you are a legally licensed person to carry a concealed weapon and are in fact doing so at that moment my guess is he would be LESS worried about what you are doing because not only are you capable of being licensed but you are also being up front and honest and that probably puts him at more ease than wondering if you are a BG or GG. But I agree the notify thing is a mess. My guess is you would get more negative reactions than positive ones. I honestly would never say anything until they asked me to leave the car at which point I would just for everyone's safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12