This is why people hate the police
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

This is why people hate the police

This is a discussion on This is why people hate the police within the LEO Encounters forums, part of the Main Category category; This is why people hate the police because more and more of them are over stepping their authority. PHOENIX, AZ ...

Default This is why people hate the police

This is why people hate the police because more and more of them are over stepping their authority.

PHOENIX, AZ A 44-year-old man climbed onto the roof of his apartment and began acting strangely. Police arrived to help him down, but instead ended up killing him.

Michael Angel Ruiz had a history of drug addiction. On July 28, for reasons unknown, he climbed onto the roof of his apartment. Witnesses called the police to protect his safety. This turned out to have been a fatal decision.

First they tased him several times on the roof. He finally complied and hopped down. Cops immediately swarmed him and put him in a choke-hold.

Witness Gary Carthen said that Ruiz was "getting choked out and tased at the same time." He remained in a choke-hold for at least three minutes.

The most disturbing moments were to come. Michael Ruiz, now fully restrained, was dragged down the concrete stairs on his face. As deputies held his arms behind his back, they allowed his head to dangle and thump against every stair. At this point Ruiz may have already lost consciousness, and was making no attempt to lift his head. Video shows him lifelessly suffering head trauma on the descent down the stair case.

I just felt sick to my stomach, said Richard Erickson, a retired police detective. Id never seen anything like this before, even when I was with the police department.

READ MORE: Police taser man to get him off a roof, choke & drag him face-down across a staircase, killing him | Police State USA
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

Errrrr, cause and effect. If true, the PD that handled this should be looked at BUT....with a BIG BUTT, the man had history. Reap what you sow, juz saying..
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

The guy did not deserve to die.

Tased and fully restrained then let his head bounce on concrete stairs WTF!!!!!
    They had complete control of the situation he shouldn't have died. I smell lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk67 View Post
    Tased and fully restrained then let his head bounce on concrete stairs WTF!!!!!
    They had complete control of the situation he shouldn't have died. I smell lawsuit
    I'll bet what no one smells though, is disciplinary action. Or better yet, prosecution.

Disgusting.

Blues
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.

Quote Originally Posted by opsspec1991 View Post
    This is why people hate the police because more and more of them are over stepping their authority.
    No, it would be why SOME people hate the police. Few people hate all the police because the actions of a few bad cops.
    From watching the video, it appears the choke hold is what did the damage. He was obviously unconscious going down the stairs, and what few blows his head did take weren't all that hard. They didn't support his head, but they were holding his arms up so his head didn't hit every step, and what steps it did hit it didn't appear to hit with full force. At least not enough to make you brain dead anyway. I wonder what the autopsy said. He died Aug 2nd.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

COMPLY OR DIE
    Do what the fuzz demands or you may be killed. The problem is that individual officers really aren't held responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I'll bet what no one smells though, is disciplinary action. Or better yet, prosecution.

Disgusting.

Blues
    What I smell more than anything is paid administrative leave. These officers will continue to collect full paychecks and benefits funded by public dollars while they, at a maximum, answer phones, and more than likely do not even report to work at all, until the department/city figures out a way to make this all go away, which may be months to years.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    What I smell more than anything is paid administrative leave. These officers will continue to collect full paychecks and benefits funded by public dollars while they, at a maximum, answer phones, and more than likely do not even report to work at all, until the department/city figures out a way to make this all go away, which may be months to years.
    I'd bet if it's "months" in the plural, it won't be more than a couple or three. I seriously doubt it will take years to get them back out on the streets "just doing their jobs."

Blues
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.

tricolordad is offline Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm going to just say that he was probably already dead by the time he was dragged down the stairs. The choke hold and mob of officers "restraining" him was probably an attempt to obstruct view of their victim and suggest to anyone watching that he was still alive. Why didn't the detective intervene? He's as guilty as the rest since he took the oath and did nothing to stop a crime.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast