more to your safety than a gun...what other training do u have?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

more to your safety than a gun...what other training do u have?

This is a discussion on more to your safety than a gun...what other training do u have? within the Less-Lethal Weapons forums, part of the Main Category category; About a year after I got my ccw, I realized there was more to self defense than just a gun ...

~OtisM~ is offline Banned

Default more to your safety than a gun...what other training do u have?

About a year after I got my ccw, I realized there was more to self defense than just a gun on my hip. Situational awareness opened my eyes. Next step was self defense martial arts and working out 5 days a week.

I've been in best shape of my life and feel a lot more confident in my ability to diffuse or neutralize a threat without deadly force as the only option.

So what does everyone else think of martial arts as an essential tool in the awareness tool kit? I take combat Hapkido. It is martial arts for after the threat is in ur personal space or has engaged you. I'm a yellow belt about to take test for orange. What about you, suggestions, history, personal experience?

Thanks!

I agree it's a good tool, but not a necessary one. I have a b/g in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but have a basic knowledge and practical experience boxing, kick boxing, San Shou, and stick fighting. Physical fitness is always a good idea and, I believe, IS a necessary tool. Always remember the acronym APPS when talking about survival.

A - Awareness
    P - Physical Fitness
    P - Proficiency
    S - Skill set
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

ECQC would be a good next step in your training.

CourseWorks | ShivWorks

This is one of the best questions I have seen on any SD forum. Before my ccw I studied Muay Thai, aikido, and Sayoc Kali. Since getting my ccw I have started kickboxing and stick fighting training as well. And while I was still on active duty I became a Green belt instructor for MCMAP.

~OtisM~ is offline Banned

Loving hapkido. Lots of core workouts during warmups. Good stuff all around. We also learn simulated knife and gun attacks and options for eliminatig the threat assuming u don't have a gun or there isn't time to get to it. This kind of training should be done by everyone that ccws and that doesn't.

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

I think it's good to know. I have 6yrs of Shotokan Karate and receive MAC training prior to going downrange.

It gives me confidence if I had to get that close to BG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I started learning Krav Maga and feel it is a pretty damn good SD tool! Its much easier/ faster to learn than your normal martial arts. It doesn't take years to learn and after only one lesson, you will already have a much better ability to defend yourself. I've heard all of the SF-types as well as the Marines are learning it now. There is a lot of physical fitness and endurance built into the program; the Israelis designed it back in the 50s I think.... it is designed to incapacitate an attacker and get out of the situation as quickly as possible. If you have to use any of the moves, you are going to seriously ******* someone up!!!

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EOD Master View Post
    I started learning Krav Maga and feel it is a pretty damn good SD tool! Its much easier/ faster to learn than your normal martial arts. It doesn't take years to learn and after only one lesson, you will already have a much better ability to defend yourself. I've heard all of the SF-types as well as the Marines are learning it now. There is a lot of physical fitness and endurance built into the program; the Israelis designed it back in the 50s I think.... it is designed to incapacitate an attacker and get out of the situation as quickly as possible. If you have to use any of the moves, you are going to seriously ******* someone up!!!
    After serving as a military police officer, I briefly trained in Krav Maga for a couple of years when I was later employed as an executive protection agent in Southern California. My boss at the time who both hired & trained me was a former Israeli Recon Commando, he was (probably still is) a real bad a$$ i.m.h.o. In Krav Maga even something as simple as a key or a pencil can be utilized effectively as an offensive weapon.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Talking about real bad @sses... my Sensei was one of the toughest people I've ever met, extrememly well disciplined, quick, and strong! He would allow us to literally hit him during our lessons to encourage us we could take blows and keep fighting. When we were all learning how to roll, he would demonstrate how a proper roll would never hurt... by doing it outside on the pavement, over and over the whole length of it!

We went to a few tournaments, one in which he actually participated... he was gooood.

Anyway, carry on with the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by ~OtisM~ View Post
    Loving hapkido. Lots of core workouts during warmups. Good stuff all around. We also learn simulated knife and gun attacks and options for eliminatig the threat assuming u don't have a gun or there isn't time to get to it. This kind of training should be done by everyone that ccws and that doesn't.
    And what are you going to do when you can no longer do these things because of age, infirmity, illness or injury?

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast