Son's T-Ball Bat!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Son's T-Ball Bat!

This is a discussion on Son's T-Ball Bat! within the Less-Lethal Weapons forums, part of the Main Category category; More years ago than I care to admit, I had many afternoons of fun with my son smacking the baseball ...

legamin is offline Street Rat

Default Son's T-Ball Bat!

More years ago than I care to admit, I had many afternoons of fun with my son smacking the baseball off the stand using a beautifully custom fit wood bat weighted and perfect for his 6 year old frame. There were home runs! But I digress... Nearly three decades later we are cleaning house and come to this wonderful memory. It felt good in my hand again but there was no good reason having it as grand kids r all girly girls. Sweet as can b... But I still couldn't let go so I tucked it away in my bedroom with some other things.
    One day I enter my house and go to my bedroom for slippers and hear a noise in another room. I instinctually grabbed the bat rather than my pistol (don't know why) and went towards the noise. Younger fellas unknown to me looked at me and said "who the hell are u?" I echoed the question and ran at them bat swinging. Grateful for every skill the Army gave me plus one finely tuned bat...the police came and accepted my explanation that they came at me (then fell a lot) as the young men were screaming that I was crazy.
    Friends, I used much of your time when I could have just said "use what is at hand..and will get the job done." Having done my job well in the military I know there are few things that stain your memories like having to use deadly force and then see the results of your handiwork. Avoid it if u can, use it if u must.

Well stated legamin. I guess my only question/concern would be: Before you entered the room, how did you know they; a) weren't high on meth, b)armed to the teeth and knew you never come empty handed to a "job", c)professionals who might have easily overpowered you? Had you entered the room with your weapon, don't you feel you would have had more options? Just asking.

Lets look at the definition of a threat. A person or thing capable or has intent to do harm. Like 123 Magic, 1. They dared to asked who you were in your own home. They are a threat. 2. They did not flee when challenged in your own home. There is intent. 3. All bets are off.

I already wrote out what to do in a different thread but to summarize. Your the victim, let them know by yelling so anybody within ear shot can testify that you were clear a concise in your command! Get out, Get out, I'm Armed and the police are on their way. They arrive thank you thank you I'm willing to cooperate in filing charges. The moment they start treating you as the bad guy, I don't feel comfortable in answering any questions without my lawyer. Keep saying lawyer.

That is the problem with us. It's better to be beat to death and they do a post investigation into your death then dealing with the thugs where no deaths had occurred.
    When all other methods of protest have been dismantled, the system leaves us with only two options: stand and fight, or kneel and beg for mercy. All you need to know is what YOU would do when faced with that choice.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

My sons old bat has nails driven thru it.

Default Sons t-ball bat

Quote Originally Posted by dpricepac View Post
    Well stated legamin. I guess my only question/concern would be: Before you entered the room, how did you know they; a) weren't high on meth, b)armed to the teeth and knew you never come empty handed to a "job", c)professionals who might have easily overpowered you? Had you entered the room with your weapon, don't you feel you would have had more options? Just asking.
    My knowledge of intruders tells me they are often semi or dis-organized. The fact that they were surprised and stupidly asked "who the hell are you?" When pros would have had an exit plan, and of course no one can anticipate when another person will be "high on meth". It's a non issue when you are investigating a noise down the hall rather than distinct voices.
    I have strategic firearms placed in my home for retreat and arm situations. And perhaps you are right, I was naive in just relying on my old 'hard charging' ways from back in the day. I would have been justified in using deadly force in a three to one situation like this. Just isn't my first go-to instinct when I sense another scenario is plausible.

Sorry I got this in the wrong spot....

You could easily be sued into eternal poverty for cruel and unusual or 'extreme' measures when a regular bat does the job.

I may sound naive here, but wouldn't the responsibility have been on you to leave the situation instead of involve yourself? Engaging is the last option - right?

I'm not sure what any of your somewhat conflicted answer had to do with my situation.
    There is no ridiculous set formula for dealing with intruders. Yelling and hoping someone hears is like expecting the intruder to admit why he's there! Once you have ascertained what the devil is going on, you form your plan an go in hard charging!
    There are so many ways to deal with a threat. Most can be worked through with a calm voice and memorizing a good description once you let them go..being the good chap you are. Some just need a bat to even the odds and teach idiot twenty-something's some respect for other people's property and the legal system. And yes some will require a gun.
    But you should know that few LEO's will ever draw their weapon to fire at another human in their entire career. And of those that do there is a remarkably low 20% kill rate. Remember, your worst day on the range you will by far out perform your finest hour in a real life situation under pressure.
    Be prepared. Practice safety and proficiency. Know your state, local and county laws by heart and find a well versed lawyer who will sit with you for a few hours and explain, instruct, advise and give you the 'reality' of how things will pan out for you in court if you pull and fire your weapon. If after all this you still want to carry and be one of us....welcome

@vsinn2000. And let them tear apart my life and make me feel unsafe in my own home? You must be an idiot liberal! My responsibility is to protect and maintain the sanctity of my home. My home, my sanctuary. I keep it at peace for me and my family. I take THAT responsibility very seriously!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast