New to reloading
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

New to reloading

This is a discussion on New to reloading within the Long Gun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Long Guns category; I am new to the reloading part of our expensive sport. I did just finish a class where we were ...

Default New to reloading

I am new to the reloading part of our expensive sport. I did just finish a class where we were able to reload 50 pistol or 20 rifle rounds at the end of the class. So at this aspect I was able to get my hands dirty before I dropped a ton of money before I knew what I was getting into. I picked up a couple Lee Turret press starter kits at the gunshow yesterday for under $200. Eventually we want to get a Horady progressive, but for now we have enough to get started..
    If anybody has any info on bulk bullet or brass please pass it on. I will also take any good info on presses, or reloading tips.
    kerstingm, NRA Member, CCW Permit,CZ 75B, CZ 75PCR compact, Kimber Ultra Aegis II 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor 45, Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm S/C, Sig P229, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag, Taurus PT1911, DPMS AR15, Mossberg 930 SPX 12 Gauge, Beretta AL 390 12 Gauge

Dillon is the absolute best for a progressive. With a little practice, you can easily load several hundred an hour.

They have the best warranty in the industry (complete, noBS you break it, they fix it). I have only had to use this a couple times for minor issues in the 23 years I have owned the press. They sent the parts quickly at no charge.

Brass can be purchased from Midway and several other online stores. I like to pick up range brass, and this has accumulated quite a few thousand rounds over the years. It is amazing how much brass people simply throw away!

-Doc

Default DILLON, period.

I agree with Bighouse Doc. If and when you buy another press, buy a Dillon, no question. I would have told you to buy a Dillon first but you've already bought the Lee. And, as far as Lees go, it is a fine beginning press.

I would suggest the 550B as it will load load damned near anything out there. Mine is going on 20 years old and I just took it into Dillon, I happen to live in the Phoenix metro area, about a year and a half ago for a sticking problem that I couldn't figure out. I dropped it off and they went completely through the machine cleaning and putting on updated parts. I picked it up 3 days later and it was like a brand new machine again. This was all done completely for free, no questions asked.

I have had a RCBS Junior single stage press for 33 years. The primer arm broke once. RCBS sent me a new one free of charge no questions asked.
    Has anyone reloaded with different brands of progressive presses? What do you think of the difficulty or ease of setting up the dies, changing over to a different caliber, and the overall function of the presses?

Quote Originally Posted by TooCalm View Post
    difficulty or ease of setting up the dies
    Dillon

changing over to a different caliber
    Dillon

and the overall function of the presses?
    Dillon

I know it's getting old but Dillon is the best in everything. Even their case lube is the best on the market. The leverage of their arm setup is superior to me as well.

Changing calibers on my 550B is a 10 minute operation; that includes changing primer size, powder, and powder bar. It may take a bit longer the first few times you do it but after that it is a very simple thing.

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

How much money do you save by reloading? How much does it cost to reload 250 rounds of .45 if you have to buy the brass instead of getting it from a range? I want to get into reloading, I just don't know how cost effective it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    How much money do you save by reloading? How much does it cost to reload 250 rounds of .45 if you have to buy the brass instead of getting it from a range? I want to get into reloading, I just don't know how cost effective it is.
    The last time I went through my cost spreadsheet was in September of 2010 when things were expensive, which is why I went through it again.

My prices then were as follows:

45 ACP, 230 gr FMJ, 6 gr of Winchester 231 powder.
    $0.65 per cartridge

That comes out to $12.97 per 20, $162.08 per 250.

While this isn't much savings, if any, over buying ammo the whole savings is in being able to reuse the brass which, at the time I did the spreadsheet, was $25/100. That is, with tax included, $0.27 per cartridge. So, taking out the brass cost, is &0.38, a savings of $0.27 per cartridge.

This comes out to $7.52/20 or $93.95/250.

I also purchased some 55 grain .223 $55 for 500, 45's $17 for 100, and 9mm $25 for 250. Not sure if these were good prices or not. I was thinking of how much it cost me the last time I purchased 500 and 1000 rounds of each and I could start seeing the savings. I still need to do some kind of spread sheet so I know what each round cost. All in due time, I just need a bench to set everything up and I can start my new Bobbie. Hopefully tonight
    I do have a question to all of you that have been reloading for a while. What is the better way to clean brass media or ultra sonic? And do I need to take the primers out before I clean the brass? I got a ultra sonic, but after reading sounds like I still need a media cleaner if I want polished brass.
    kerstingm, NRA Member, CCW Permit,CZ 75B, CZ 75PCR compact, Kimber Ultra Aegis II 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor 45, Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm S/C, Sig P229, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag, Taurus PT1911, DPMS AR15, Mossberg 930 SPX 12 Gauge, Beretta AL 390 12 Gauge

Buy the book first....read it 4-5 times (seriously), then sit down with the book and the reloading equipment and walk through the steps once more.

If you make a mistake on the reloading bench, there may be serious consequences.

I have a question to anybody that has been reloading for a while. When I took my reloading class one of the
    instructors had a jig that he put a riffle case in to check the case length. Can somebody please tell what this is called I would really like to get one.
    Thank you

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast