AR 15 Lightning Link.....

AR 15 Lightning Link.....

This is a discussion on AR 15 Lightning Link..... within the Long Guns Discussion forums, part of the Long Guns category; I could be wrong, which I am a lot, but I thought it was illegal to even have the plans ...

Default AR 15 Lightning Link.....

I could be wrong, which I am a lot, but I thought it was illegal to even have the plans to make one. I bring this up because I saw several listings on ebay for the lightning link diagram and plans. So am I wrong?
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

That pesky 1st Amendment thing sometimes gets in the way of censorship.

But that never stopped the government from manufacturing a 'constructive possession' case.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I don't think the plans are illegal it's the completed product that will get you in trouble.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

AR Hammer is offline Deaf & Powder Burned...

Plans for anything like that are first amendment protected and ARE NOT illegal.

DO NOT try to construct the device! That is VERY MUCH illegal.

There are still several types of auto drop in devices on the market you can buy LEGALLY with the $200 transfer if you want one.

Since the device it's self is registered, you can move it between rifles without an extra tax stamp,
    And the rifle is LEGAL for use and common resale when the device is removed.

Personally, after 16 years of active military and a lot of 'Experience', I don't have much use for a fully automatic rifle,
    I'd rather have a hard hitting/accurate semi auto than spend the money on some ammo wasting device.

In my OPINION,
    Your money would be MUCH better spent on a semi-auto AR-10 in .308 Cal. with a good barrel than used on some ammo wasting device that will probably make the rifle jam so much it's virtually unusable.

An accurate .308 semi-auto is a beautiful thing and a joy forever!
    It will take down every kind of game you can think of, is accurate, has VERY fast follow up shots and hits REALLY hard.

Like I said, that's just my opinion...

Cooter is offline Liberty or Death

This day and age, they can try to say pretty much anything is illegal.

Some problems I see with the AR Lightning Link are:
    1. They will not work with every type of AR bolt carrier. They are only supposed to work with the Colt SP1 carrier, though I've heard of people getting it to work with different ones.
    2. The link itself needs to be thin, so it cannot last very long as metal parts are slamming into it repeatedly at high speeds. I don't know about you, but the thought of a chunk of sheet metal shearing off inside my firearm at the worst possible time does not appeal to me.
    3. Getting caught with one is a BIG no-no according to the lovely BATFE. I don't see spending time in prison just so my rifle can shoot faster as being a fair trade. I would rather stick to bump firing if I feel like wasting a bunch of ammo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.