M1 garand
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

M1 garand

This is a discussion on M1 garand within the Long Guns Discussion forums, part of the Long Guns category; I'm seriously starting on a search for an M1 Garand. I might try the CMP path or just go out ...

Default M1 garand

I'm seriously starting on a search for an M1 Garand. I might try the CMP path or just go out and buy what's on the market. Whilst I know it won't be new. Is there anything that I really should look out for?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Make sure the bore is clean and bright with crisp sharp rifling and the action operates smoothly. Also look at bolt face and extractor. Don't dump your money into worn out junk.

Blog Entries

Picked up a "Special" grade from CMP about 3-4 years back. Basically, a like-new condition Garand for $900. Put it in the hands of my blind stepfather (who landed at Normandy on D-Day) and he told me he had promised himself that he would smash the next one he ever had in his hands again! Quickly removed it from his possession....guess he had some rough moments!

Default Civilian Marksmanship Program

Last edited by jlr87105; 05-27-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks for the link, jlr. Probably will go the CMP path. Will have to join the VFW or maybe the local gun club to qualify for purchase. BUT want one so I'll jump through the hoops.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Thanks for the link, jlr. Probably will go the CMP path. Will have to join the VFW or maybe the local gun club to qualify for purchase. BUT want one so I'll jump through the hoops.
    You can also join The Garand Collector's Association instead of the VFW or a local club.
    The Garand Collectors Association
    I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. For legal advice ask a lawyer.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Those who accept second best must learn to live with mediocrity. - pafindr

The orders been placed, now the loooonnnnngggggg wait.

Once you get your prised possession, make sure you feed it properly. Otherwise you might be looking at mechanical issues.

Make sure you use only period ammunition in your M1. Modern 30.06 ammo has a lot more spunk that the ammo from the WW II era and can lead to bent parts and peices. THere are a couple of ammo manufacturers that make a "Garand" load. It has a reduced load and velocity rating that fits the original specifications of the Garand. The other alternative is a tunable gas block plug that reduces the degree of bleed gasses to make the modern ammo less damaging to the action.

Welcome to the club! You're glad to be here!
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Default My new Friend has arrived

Just got back from the range. All I can say is sweeeeeettttttttt dam platform. Zeroed within 20 rounds. (Not sure if was me or the gun) FYI received within 30 days. THIS was money well spentName:  IMG_2832.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  535.4 KB

I love my M1. =)
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast