Rosi 92 Lever 16 inch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcreek

Rosi 92 Lever 16 inch

This is a discussion on Rosi 92 Lever 16 inch within the Long Guns Discussion forums, part of the Long Guns category; I picked up a Rossi R92 357 short barrel (16 inch) today. I've read ..NEVER shoot FMJ ammo in this ...

Ringo is online now Absolute Truth

Default Rossi R92 Lever 16 inch

I picked up a Rossi R92 357 short barrel (16 inch) today. I've read ..NEVER shoot FMJ ammo in this rifle. True or not true? Thanks.
    The World Isn't Falling Apart, It's Falling Into Place
    ~ God uses prophecy to prove He is who He says He is, and to authenticate all the warnings and promises found in the Bible ~

noffsinger is offline DKN Gunsmithing

You can shoot FMJ in your rifle, but it must be FMJ flat nose. No round nosed or pointed bullets, ( except for Hornady FTX ).
    Devin K. Noffsinger

Ringo is online now Absolute Truth

Quote Originally Posted by noffsinger View Post
    You can shoot FMJ in your rifle, but it must be FMJ flat nose. No round nosed or pointed bullets, ( except for Hornady FTX ).
    Doesn't make sense to me. A round nose is not even close to being a pointed bullet.
    The World Isn't Falling Apart, It's Falling Into Place
    ~ God uses prophecy to prove He is who He says He is, and to authenticate all the warnings and promises found in the Bible ~

I would go to Rossi's web site and ask their experts what kinds of ammo can be used in the R92 .357

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noffsinger View Post
    Doesn't make sense to me. A round nose is not even close to being a pointed bullet.
    I call BS. Round nose should be fine. I've never had a .30-30 blow up on me shooting round nose I don't see why .357 would be any different.

noffsinger is offline DKN Gunsmithing

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I call BS. Round nose should be fine. I've never had a .30-30 blow up on me shooting round nose I don't see why .357 would be any different.
    You are very wrong to "Call BS".
    A round nose .30-30 utilizes soft lead, this is way different than an FMJ which has NO give or cushion.
    Next we will address the angle of the round as it sits in a tubular magazine.
    The .30-30 has rimmed case with what can only be described as an extreme taper, thus the round lies canted in a tubular magazine, whereas the .357 magnum being a straight walled rimmed case with a much smaller rim will lie more nearly straight in line with the primer of the case in front of it in the tube.
    As the owner and operator of DKN Gunsmithing since 1983, I have replaced 7 mag tubes and forends on Winchester, El Tigre, and Uberti 92's that have been blown because the owners thought it would OK to shoot round nose and pointed FMJ ammunition.
    I therefore must side with the manufacturers in saying " NO, don't do it!"
    Devin K. Noffsinger

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Late reply but, whatever...

Interesting thoughts, I hadn't really ever thought about loading FMJ in these before but I suppose I'll keep it in mind that even FMJs can set the primers off in the tube. The one lever gun I have is a Marlin 1894C in .44Mag and have never had to worry about such things. I plan on getting one of these .38s/.357s at some point.... now I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Dave Nowlin is offline Old Geezer

There is one way you can safely shoot FMJ in your rifle. You must emulate Barney Fife. Just carry one bullet and put it in the rifle and shoot it when the need occurs. If you want to use it as a repeater, don't shoot FMJ.
    In order to receive forgiveness, we must first forgive.

Murphy's Law is still in effect.

Seems like one round at a time would be good advice.