Question about vehicle handgun storage on a college campus.

Question about vehicle handgun storage on a college campus.

This is a discussion on Question about vehicle handgun storage on a college campus. within the Massachusetts Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I recently got my Class A LTC without restriction and have been thoroughly learning what and where I cannot bring/do ...

Default Question about vehicle handgun storage on a college campus.

I recently got my Class A LTC without restriction and have been thoroughly learning what and where I cannot bring/do with my gun.

With that said; I am a college student and I commute daily to a college campus in Boston.

Here is my issue; I got my license to carry because of a incident that occurred on my hourly commute into the city. Long story short, i had my drivers side window and taillight smashed in with a mag lite flashlight during a issue of road rage in which my music was annoying another driver during gridlock.

Because of this and the fact that it had been something i had been procrastinating over for awhile I got my Class A LTC to help protect myself when out in public (especially my commute).

I know that I am allowed to have a loaded weapon on my person within my vehicle as long as I am in direct control of it. I do this for my entire commute, but when I reach the set of lights before the college campus I immediately unload my weapon, put a trigger lock on, and secure it under my seat in a steel case with two 3/8 inch steal cables wrapped around the base plates of the seat.

I do this because it is my understanding that I cannot posses a weapon on my person while on school grounds. (see section j linked below).

M.G.L. - Chapter 269, Section 10
    (j) Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer, and notwithstanding any license obtained by him under the provisions of chapter one hundred and forty, carries on his person a firearm as hereinafter defined, loaded or unloaded or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of such elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.

My question is; does the law pertaining to firearms include storing them in my vehicle while I am on campus?

I haven't been able to find an answer and my school's rules defer to state law.

Good luck on finding a definitive answer. I went round and round on this a couple of years ago regarding UNR.
    Most likely you'll find a lot of people who will give you opinions without actually providing any guidelines you can follow.

Except, of course, to be defenseless.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Boston Focus, I just joined. My understanding is you can't be on campus as in the section you highlighted. I would say make sure you are not stopped drving in and out of the campus.