90 day grace period
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

90 day grace period

This is a discussion on 90 day grace period within the Massachusetts Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; GOAL Massachusetts gun license renewal delay information I'm confused. I went in early, told the officer I'd be away working ...

Default 90 day grace period

GOAL Massachusetts gun license renewal delay information

I'm confused. I went in early, told the officer I'd be away working when renewal time came so he was accommodating. But he said "If you plan on buying any guns or ammo get them before your birthday." Well what the heck is the 90 day grace period for? And am I now carrying illegally?
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    GOAL Massachusetts gun license renewal delay information

I'm confused. I went in early, told the officer I'd be away working when renewal time came so he was accommodating. But he said "If you plan on buying any guns or ammo get them before your birthday." Well what the heck is the 90 day grace period for? And am I now carrying illegally?
    I am no lawyer, but I think you are covered under the 90 grace period. The laws here are soooooo confusing that I am sure not all officer's know about the 90 day grace period. The laws need to be re-written here so everything is clear as crystal
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I'm confident that the confusion is by design to discourage people from going through the process of owning guns.

I'm confident that the confusion is by design to discourage people from going through the process of owning guns.
    Right on. Everything in PRMA is to discourage people from owning them. Its a sin and should be a crime the way the laws are here

Important Renewal Date Information

LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS
    All Licenses To Carry Firearms will expire on the expiration date currently listed on the license. There is a 90-day grace period on expired LTCs.

FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARDS
    If your current FID card does not have a fingerprint or photo of you on it, then it is expired. New changes to the firearms laws require all FID cardholders to renew their cards. There is a 90-day grace period on expired FID cards. Expired cardholders caught carrying a weapon can be subject to a fine up to $5000 and/or arrest.

New & Renewal Licensing Information

(1) Application - Complete the Application For New/Renewal of a Firearms Identification Card or License to Carry Firearms. Provide all the information that is requested on the form. Failure to provide information or providing false information will result in the denial of the application and the police department seeking a criminal complaint in the district court if the information is false.

(2) Suitable Person - In order to be eligible to receive a new or to renew a LTC, an applicant must be deemed by the Chief of Police to be a suitable person. The Chief considers factors such as the applicant's reputation in the community, his/her involvement in criminal activities that did not lead to an arrest or conviction, association with known criminals, etc. In addition, the following statutory restrictions affect an applicant's suitability:

a. Applicant was convicted or adjudicated as a youthful offender anywhere for:
    1. Commission of a felony or misdemeanor with a sentence greater than two years
    2. Commission of a violent crime
    3. Violation of any firearms law punishable by imprisonment
    4. Violation of any narcotics law

b. Applicant is committed to an institution for mental illness

c. Applicant is being treated or confined for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness

d. Applicant is under age 21

e. Applicant is an alien of the United States

f. Applicant is subject to any Chapter 209A protective order in Massachusetts or similar domestic violence stay-away order in another state

g. Applicant is subject to an outstanding arrest warrant

h. Applicant was convicted of a misdemeanor offense punishable by imprisonment for more than two years

With respect to an FID permit only, a person who has been convicted of such offense may apply for an FID if five years has past since such conviction and/or probation period, whichever occurred last.

i. Applicant was convicted of a violent crime

j. Applicant was convicted of a felony

Pursuant to Chapter 140 section 129B of the Massachusetts General Laws, the Chief of Police may not deny an applicant's request for a FID Card unless he/she is subject to one of the statutory disqualifications listed above. An applicant for a FID Card is not required to state a purpose to obtain the card.

The day my wife retires the FOR SALE sign goes on the house.

Important Renewal Date Information

LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS
    All Licenses To Carry Firearms will expire on the expiration date currently listed on the license. There is a 90-day grace period on expired LTCs.

FIREARMS IDENTIFICATION CARDS
    If your current FID card does not have a fingerprint or photo of you on it, then it is expired. New changes to the firearms laws require all FID cardholders to renew their cards. There is a 90-day grace period on expired FID cards. Expired cardholders caught carrying a weapon can be subject to a fine up to $5000 and/or arrest.

New & Renewal Licensing Information

(1) Application - Complete the Application For New/Renewal of a Firearms Identification Card or License to Carry Firearms. Provide all the information that is requested on the form. Failure to provide information or providing false information will result in the denial of the application and the police department seeking a criminal complaint in the district court if the information is false.

(2) Suitable Person - In order to be eligible to receive a new or to renew a LTC, an applicant must be deemed by the Chief of Police to be a suitable person. The Chief considers factors such as the applicant's reputation in the community, his/her involvement in criminal activities that did not lead to an arrest or conviction, association with known criminals, etc. In addition, the following statutory restrictions affect an applicant's suitability:

a. Applicant was convicted or adjudicated as a youthful offender anywhere for:
    1. Commission of a felony or misdemeanor with a sentence greater than two years
    2. Commission of a violent crime
    3. Violation of any firearms law punishable by imprisonment
    4. Violation of any narcotics law

b. Applicant is committed to an institution for mental illness

c. Applicant is being treated or confined for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness

d. Applicant is under age 21

e. Applicant is an alien of the United States

f. Applicant is subject to any Chapter 209A protective order in Massachusetts or similar domestic violence stay-away order in another state

g. Applicant is subject to an outstanding arrest warrant

h. Applicant was convicted of a misdemeanor offense punishable by imprisonment for more than two years

With respect to an FID permit only, a person who has been convicted of such offense may apply for an FID if five years has past since such conviction and/or probation period, whichever occurred last.

i. Applicant was convicted of a violent crime

j. Applicant was convicted of a felony

Pursuant to Chapter 140 section 129B of the Massachusetts General Laws, the Chief of Police may not deny an applicant's request for a FID Card unless he/she is subject to one of the statutory disqualifications listed above. An applicant for a FID Card is not required to state a purpose to obtain the card.

The day my wife retires the FOR SALE sign goes on the house.

Isn't it crazy?? I love how it says "Suitable Person - In order to be eligible to receive a new or to renew a LTC, an applicant must be deemed by the Chief of Police to be a suitable person" so pretty much they need no reason to deny you. Its BS! I am waiting to hear if I have gotten my LTC-A or a deny letter. It has been almost 4 weeks since my appointment.

I think he may have been suggesting too that you buy some things now in case a store employee thinks it is expired.

You also have to do the process before it expires othewise there is no grace period.

I'm getting pretty damn fed up. Still no letter from the police dept. When I get one, it will just be saying, "Come in and make an appointment to get your renewal" not "Come get your renewal." I went to my brother in laws in New Hampshire yesterday and we went to the local gun shop. I bought some ammo for the new 6.8 mm Stag I'm getting in case it becomes scarce. I'm calling Stag right now to see if the model I want has the chamber and twist I want, and if so, I'm buying it in NH. When they start losing all the taxes and revenue from gun owners and hunters in every aspect, they might wake up here. The only way to hurt them is hit them in the wallet or vote the bums out. DemocRATs thought they were safe here till that POS Kennedy died, and we did what we had to do to get Scott Brown elected. Drove ballots around and stood in the snow and rain and called and emailed. We can get rid of the rest of them too. I've bought my LAST hunting license in MA and will but all my sporting goods in other states from now on. I'll hunt my property in Maine from now on.

I'm getting pretty damn fed up. Still no letter from the police dept. When I get one, it will just be saying, "Come in and make an appointment to get your renewal" not "Come get your renewal." I went to my brother in laws in New Hampshire yesterday and we went to the local gun shop. I bought some ammo for the new 6.8 mm Stag I'm getting in case it becomes scarce. I'm calling Stag right now to see if the model I want has the chamber and twist I want, and if so, I'm buying it in NH. When they start losing all the taxes and revenue from gun owners and hunters in every aspect, they might wake up here. The only way to hurt them is hit them in the wallet or vote the bums out. DemocRATs thought they were safe here till that POS Kennedy died, and we did what we had to do to get Scott Brown elected. Drove ballots around and stood in the snow and rain and called and emailed. We can get rid of the rest of them too. I've bought my LAST hunting license in MA and will but all my sporting goods in other states from now on. I'll hunt my property in Maine from now on.
    I feel ya pain bro. With all the money I fork over in taxes, license fees, you name it, we get no respect. What sucks for us, is we live in a very democratic state which makes it hard on us. I agree, we need to vote the rest of them out. Like I tell people, "not" everyone loved the kennedys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannan View Post
    I think he may have been suggesting too that you buy some things now in case a store employee thinks it is expired.

You also have to do the process before it expires othewise there is no grace period.

Wait. Are you saying that the 90 day grace period includes buying guns and ammo? Cuz the cop who does the renewals told me "If you're going to buy anything buy it before your birthday."

So I'm under the impression I can still carry for 90 days but can't buy guns or ammo which is also what a local gun store own, no TWO local gun stores said.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast