No new Glocks in MA? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree1Likes

No new Glocks in MA?

This is a discussion on No new Glocks in MA? within the Massachusetts Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Originally Posted by BC1 I'm confused. Doesn't the list show Glocks as approved as of March 2011 or am I ...

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I'm confused. Doesn't the list show Glocks as approved as of March 2011 or am I reading this wrong?
    There are two lists. Gotta be on both for us civilians.
    Yes of course it's stupid, but it is what it is.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    I'm confused. Doesn't the list show Glocks as approved as of March 2011 or am I reading this wrong?
    There on the list because you can still buy pre-ban Glocks mfg before 10/21/98 from an FFL. It's only the new ones that you need to get creative to get. Law Enforcement can buy current models but there usually not stocked anywhere since there the only ones that can buy them. The Firearms roster is useless because you can still get any gun you want if you look around. You'll pay a premium to get that Gen4.....but you'll get it.

As previously referenced, there are two steps to MA approval. The first is to get on the appropriate EOPS Approved Firearm Roster as legislated in MGL c.140 s. 123 and s.131, and further regulated by EOPS in 501 CMR 7.00. The second step is for the manufacturer to certify compliance in writing pursuant to the AG's 940 CMR 16.00. The AG does not publish a list or roster.

Violations of the MGL are usually criminal, while violations of the CMR are civil. Both are intended to regulate the sale of "firearms" at the Dealer level. It's not illegal to possess firearms that are not on the Roster provided their design does not violate other MA laws (i.e. non pre-ban large capacity magazine). LEO's can purchase firearms that are not 940 CMR 16.00 compliant, but they must be on the Approved Firearms Roster. Receivers (frames) are legally exempt since they are technically not "firearms" under the MGL, although an ATF 4473 and approval are required.

Theoretically, the broad discretion granted to issuing authorities under the MGL could be the basis for revokation of an LTC held by an individual who is in possession of non-compliant firearms.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345