weapon in a locked vehicle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

weapon in a locked vehicle

This is a discussion on weapon in a locked vehicle within the Massachusetts Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; if you have a weapon in a locked car without a trunk in massachusetts. is this considered a locked container? ...

Default weapon in a locked vehicle

if you have a weapon in a locked car without a trunk in massachusetts. is this considered a locked container? Do the laws specifically say a vehicle is not a locked container.

In wisconsin i know that a vehicle without a trunk is not technically considered a locked container when your weapon must be SECURED due to windows being an extreme weak point. Much like "locking" your house with only a screen door. While technically this does not help you with your question per-say, it may give insight. My vehicle does not have a trunk so i use a fire safe. As far as leaving it in your vehicle because of a "target this business" sign, it would be sufficient.

what does that mean when you say "target this business sign"

Get a Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe. $30 and it will will hold a full size hand gun. It has a cable to wrap around the seat mount.
    Safe secure and meet the intent of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by cullersjr View Post
    Get a Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe. $30 and it will will hold a full size hand gun. It has a cable to wrap around the seat mount.
    Safe secure and meet the intent of the law.
    ^^This. A locked vehicle is not a locked container under the law. I would avoid leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle if possible though. It will not end well for you if your firearm is stolen from your vehicle in a may issue state.....

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by kimm1 View Post
    if you have a weapon in a locked car without a trunk in massachusetts. is this considered a locked container? Do the laws specifically say a vehicle is not a locked container.
    First, let me suggest that you look up the relevant statute and read it for yourself instead of taking the word someone w/ an internet law degree.

Second, I'd like to point out that you can purchase a small lock box for your car from Wal Mart for under 30.00$ and cable lock it to a seat. It won't stop a serious thief but it should work for a smash and grab guy. Also, it will definetely meet the MA requirement for a "locked container".

30.00$ insurance for a 400$+ gun seems pretty cheap to me.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by kimm1 View Post
    what does that mean when you say "target this business sign"
    No firearms allowed

sambo42xa is offline USA Carry Supporter

Weapon and ammo in separate locked containers when stored in a vehicle. No trunk? Put one in a locked container behind the seat, the other in the glove box if it is keyed lock. If not, lock it up in a container and put it in the glove box. Next, a weapon in a locked vehicle is a no no.....especially in MA.
    Lots of questions regarding this topic. I believe it is actually illegal to leave your weapon unattended in said vehicle/s. I still cannot find where it states this word for word though. And, if you ask a LEO they'll give you different answers. My suggestion is, do not leave it unattended as others have said.
    If you do a search on this, I believe I asked the same question some years back and someone actually did find something on it. It was in this section......try maybe at least 2-3 yrs ago looking for my user name sambo42xa.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Quote Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
    Weapon and ammo in separate locked containers when stored in a vehicle.

This is not true. You are confusing "storage in a vehicle" vs. "transporting in a vehicle" you can have it loaded and stored in a vehicle, as long as the vehicle isn't running. If you start the vehicle you are now "transporting" and the firearm has to be in a locked container, unloaded ammo seperate.

sambo42xa is offline USA Carry Supporter

I do know the differences on storage and transporting. Been doing it for about 12 years now. I May have just miss understood your point/question. Try advancing your search on this. You may find your answer.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast