Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
Like Tree1Likes

Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit?

This is a discussion on Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit? within the Minnesota Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I agree with Glock-Fan thats how my S.C. permit was explained to me IF I wish to get non-resident permit...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Gaston South Carolina
    Posts
    185

    Default My .02

    I agree with Glock-Fan thats how my S.C. permit was explained to me IF I wish to get non-resident permit

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    I'm in MN. Gotta have home state permit before looking to obtain another states permit. Look at New Hampshire, $25 and no fingerprints to sent, good for 4 years on the MN permit which is cheaper than UT.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    894

    Default

    I actually got my Utah permit before I got my South Carolina permit. I guess that's because there is no reciprocity between SC and UT. I just know I couldn't carry in SC with just the UT. I had to get the SC also.

    KK

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCD1974 View Post
    If you are a MN resident you MUST also have a MN permit...it's that way in almost all states.
    I don't see where it says that in MN 624.714 subd 16

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanGunSafety View Post
    I agree with KCD1974, I know of no state that lets it's residents carry using a non-resident permit from another state. It's logical that they want to make sure you qualify for their requirements, know about your permit, and get your fees.
    there are a few....PA is one for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Current UT law requires you to submit a photo copy of your home state CC permit/license if your home state recognizes or has reciprocity with the state of UT. Failure to do so will result in denial of your UT CFP application. For example, the state of UT has reciprocity with the state of TX. If you are a TX resident, and wish to apply for a UT non-resident permit, you will need to submit a copy of your TX permit with your application. OTOH if you are a CA resident (which does not recognize nor has reciprocity with the state of UT), you do not have to submit a copy of your CA CC permit.

    Complete details can be found on the Utah BCI website: Utah Department of Public Safety
    This right here is your issue. MN honors UT therefore you need to obtain a MN permit before you can get a UT permit.

    Quote Originally Posted by mncarrydude View Post
    I'm in MN. Gotta have home state permit before looking to obtain another states permit. Look at New Hampshire, $25 and no fingerprints to sent, good for 4 years on the MN permit which is cheaper than UT.
    He could use the training cert to get an AZ permit without first having a MN permit...but AZ is not honored in MN. NH is $100 for non-residents.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunsrgr8 View Post
    In order to get a Utah permit the applicant must have a permit from their home state if a permit is available in their home state.
    I know of no state which offers permits which honors an out of state permit carried by a legal resident of said state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Current UT law requires you to submit a photo copy of your home state CC permit/license if your home state recognizes or has reciprocity with the state of UT. Failure to do so will result in denial of your UT CFP application. For example, the state of UT has reciprocity with the state of TX. If you are a TX resident, and wish to apply for a UT non-resident permit, you will need to submit a copy of your TX permit with your application. OTOH if you are a CA resident (which does not recognize nor has reciprocity with the state of UT), you do not have to submit a copy of your CA CC permit.

    Complete details can be found on the Utah BCI website: Utah Department of Public Safety
    This is correct, effective May 10 of this year' regardless of MN law.

    Also, take a look at the AZ permit, it might be a little better permit than UT.

    Good luck.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    93

    Default

    I'm also in SC and I understand it you need to have a SC resident permit before getting the out of state permit. You cannot carry in SC with just a non-resident permit, regardless of what state it is from. I have an Arizona permit, which allows me to carry in states that don't reciprocate with SC. The AZ permit was cheaper then the UT permit, I only had to mail my NRA basic safety certificate as proof of training along with a copy of my SC CWP and the fee. I rec'd the AZ permit in a few weeks.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    894

    Default

    Well, I don't know how it worked, but I had my non-res UT permit a month before I got my res SC permit. I knew I couldn't carry in SC w/o my SC permit but I could have in other states with just my UT permit.

    As long as we have such expert advice here, explain to me how this happened? I don't really care since I'm good now, but someone is wrong.

    KK

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    Well, I don't know how it worked, but I had my non-res UT permit a month before I got my res SC permit. I knew I couldn't carry in SC w/o my SC permit but I could have is other states with just my UT permit.

    As long as we have such expert advice here, explain to me how this happened? I don't really care since I'm good now, but someone is wrong.

    KK

    The state of SC does not recognize the UT CFP, so you are not required to submit a copy with your UT CFP application. Had you been a NC resident, it would be a different story.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1

    Default

    So is the Utah an additional class or just an application with prints and a copy of my MN CCP?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thehig View Post
    So is the Utah an additional class or just an application with prints and a copy of my MN CCP?

    The state of UT requires applicants to take a 4 hour training class conducted by an instructor certified by the Utah BCI. More information can be found here: Utah Department of Public Safety

    There are instructors in most U.S. States, as the class does not need to be conducted in the state of Utah. A list of instructors can be found on the BCI website as well.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •