Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit?

This is a discussion on Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit? within the Minnesota Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; In a MN resident and I just completed the carry course which included training for the MN permit, and the ...

Default Get UT non-resident permit, skip MN resident permit?

In a MN resident and I just completed the carry course which included training for the MN permit, and the Utah non-resident permit. Since the Utah permit has reciprocity in MN, is there any reason I cant just get the cheaper Utah permit and use it to carry in MN?

I didn't check, but does MN give you any more states than UT does?

In SC, I had to get a UT to be able to carry in FL and GA, among others. With just a UT, I couldn't carry in SC.
    If you don't plan on leaving MN, I can't see a need for a MN if you have a UT.

KK

Default Who do you want to support with your fees,

Your home state of Minnesota or Utah?

If it's like Wisconsin, you have to have a Wis permit if you're a resident even if you have a permit from another state. We winter in Arizona, I had to get a Wis permit for the summer months up here.

If you are a MN resident you MUST also have a MN permit...it's that way in almost all states.

Quote Originally Posted by KCD1974 View Post
    If you are a MN resident you MUST also have a MN permit...it's that way in almost all states.
    According to the USA Carry map, the Non- Res UT permit covers him in MN. I would check the validity of that but from what I read, he should be good. However, Navy hasn't weighed in on this so maybe we should all wait and see. :):):)

KK

Blog Entries

I agree with KCD1974, I know of no state that lets it's residents carry using a non-resident permit from another state. It's logical that they want to make sure you qualify for their requirements, know about your permit, and get your fees.

If you're right, the USA Carry maps can really lead you astray. That's bad news.

KK

In order to get a Utah permit the applicant must have a permit from their home state if a permit is available in their home state.
    I know of no state which offers permits which honors an out of state permit carried by a legal resident of said state.

Quote Originally Posted by whatev View Post
    In a MN resident and I just completed the carry course which included training for the MN permit, and the Utah non-resident permit. Since the Utah permit has reciprocity in MN, is there any reason I cant just get the cheaper Utah permit and use it to carry in MN?
    Current UT law requires you to submit a photo copy of your home state CC permit/license if your home state recognizes or has reciprocity with the state of UT. Failure to do so will result in denial of your UT CFP application. For example, the state of UT has reciprocity with the state of TX. If you are a TX resident, and wish to apply for a UT non-resident permit, you will need to submit a copy of your TX permit with your application. OTOH if you are a CA resident (which does not recognize nor has reciprocity with the state of UT), you do not have to submit a copy of your CA CC permit.

Complete details can be found on the Utah BCI website: Utah Department of Public Safety
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast