I was told I am "Illeagaly carying my gun:!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

I was told I am "Illeagaly carying my gun:!!

This is a discussion on I was told I am "Illeagaly carying my gun:!! within the Mississippi Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I posted this in LEO Encounters, and here for those from Mississippi. Scary LEO Encounter: Lucedale, Ms. On Sunday May ...

Default I was told I am "Illeagaly carying my gun:!!

I posted this in LEO Encounters, and here for those from Mississippi.

Scary LEO Encounter: Lucedale, Ms.

On Sunday May 1, 2011 I was out for a ride on my motorcycle. I was carrying (I do have a valid Mississippi Firearms Card) my Colt Defender .45 in an OWB holster. I had on two T-shirts, the outer one was un-tucked and covering my weapon. I stopped at a gas station to get a drink, and when I pulled in I noticed a Mississippi State Patrol as well as a Lucedale City Police sitting in the parking lot of the gas station. I parked the bike and dis-mounted. At that time I noticed my T-shirt was up and my Colt Defender was exposed. Not a big deal supposedly in Mississippi with the whole “Partially Concealed” wording of the Law. When I walked out of the store with my purchase; both Officers were standing outside by the door waiting for me.
    The State Officer asked me “Who do you work for”, and I was confused for a second. He was referring to my weapon and whether or not I was affiliated with any type of Law Enforcement Agency. When I informed theses officers that I was not Law Enforcement, they stated that I was” Illegal”, and that I could not carry my weapon in just a holster on my hip.” It HAS TO BE CONCEALED” was what I was told by both the State and Local PD.
    If not for knowing the State Officer from my part time job as an EMT in George County, I feel I would have been arrested today! Just 12 hours earlier this SAME State Officer and I were working a car wreck together so He recognized me after a few minutes ( I was in Biker Garb and not my EMT uniform) and then He started to back off a bit.
    The State Officer said that he is going to speak directly with the Mississippi State Attorney General and get His view of the Mississippi State Gun Laws, and we would talk again next time we see each other. I asked that whatever the AG decides to say, please get me something in writing, and/or direct me to the specific statue in the Law. Looks like I may get the AG of Mississippi to have to make a stand on this issue one way or another. Not sure how this will work out.

I will post again when I get the results.
    -Bandit
    Dave
    Benndale, Ms.

Interesting situation to say the least! Here in good ol Florabama we have to be completely concealed. Hopefully the would be law that is in the house will be approved and that will change.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

IMO any time a cop starts saying you broke any law it's time to shut up and ask for a lawyer. Also don't take the cop's word for the wording of the law you look it up for yourself
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Also don't take the cop's word for the wording of the law you look it up for yourself

I have read the Mississippi Code of 1972 numerous times, and I have what is MY understanding of the laws. But, what do you do when the "Athority Figure" says you are wrong, and what HE SAYS is Law because He has the handcuffs!!
    Dave
    Benndale, Ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Benndalebandit View Post
    Also don't take the cop's word for the wording of the law you look it up for yourself

I have read the Mississippi Code of 1972 numerous times, and I have what is MY understanding of the laws. But, what do you do when the "Athority Figure" says you are wrong, and what HE SAYS is Law because He has the handcuffs!!
    "He" has more than handcuffs - he has a gun. In front of him you may as well be un-armed. You draw on him - you lose. Period.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Benndalebandit View Post
    But, what do you do when the "Athority Figure" says you are wrong, and what HE SAYS is Law because He has the handcuffs!!
    You say verbatium : Officer I do not wish to make any further statment or answer any questions without consulting my attorney.

Am I free to go?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I've always been well served maintaing cordial relation with LEO and when the occassion occure with State Police (Highway Patrol in Ohio).

I know of multiple occasions when concealed carry was noticed but not acknowlged long before concealed carry was legal in Ohio. Sort an early version of don't ask dont tell. Sure am glad it's been legal for a while.

I kept it very cordial with this officer, mainly because I know him from the "streets". Plus he is a local boy working in a very small rural area which just so happens to be his home town, only he is employed by the State in regards to Law Enforcement. He is a VERY honest and trustworthy Man, and I am sure he will speak to the Mississippi Attourney general and I will at least get a verbal ruling. I did ask for something in writing so who knows, I might get lucky!

-Bandit
    Dave
    Benndale, Ms.

baledge1 is offline baledge1

Default Wow, you lost me for..

I live in Idaho and have to have a license to carry concealed, like you. But we can carry a firearm that is not concealed anywhere(except the usual rules).anytime

The problem is that there is no possible way to cary a firearm in the "open" or not "concealed" as far as the Mississippi Law reads. The holster is partial concealment, your hand is partial concealment, and a string tied through the trigger guard is partialy concealing the part of the trigger guard it is touching..... see what I am dealing with?

But if you have a Mississippi Firearms Permit (which I do have) then you are allowed to cary a Concealed Firearm. So when I Partialy Conceal my weapon in a holster I would need a Permit to do so per the Mississippi Gun Law. When I place that partialy concealed weapon and holster on my belt nothing changes, the weapon is still partialy concealed! So why are we being harrased??? Good question. LEO does NOT like us Pee-ons showing our ability to stand up for ourselves.
    Dave
    Benndale, Ms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast