Aussie moving to Montana! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Aussie moving to Montana!

This is a discussion on Aussie moving to Montana! within the Montana Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Good luck there Aussie. At the worst case scenario of you not being able to own a gun, you can ...

Good luck there Aussie.

At the worst case scenario of you not being able to own a gun, you can buy, own and oc BP weapons as a non-citizen :)
    That's what the ex-felon's do to keep their right to self-defence (assuming they don't ignore the law and illegally own anyway).

santa is offline santa

I live in Washington State and while I know you are looking to Montana you would be welcome here in Eastern Washington State (Spokane). You can get a 'resident alien concealed pistol licence' with the right paperwork very easily in Washington State. I know the state prison system is always looking for help.

LkWd_Don is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Longrass View Post
    G'Day Guys,

I'm finally sick to death of my country criminalizing my passion for firearms, hunting and fishing.

First I lost my semi-auto centrefires, then my pump and semi shotguns, high cap mags, compact frame and above .38 cal. Now the are working on banning handguns and rifles above .310 cal. I can't go fishing in half the places I could 5 years ago and the licensing fees for boats, license and permits is skyrocketing. They are now working on banning 4WD vehicles in the city.

I own a construction company, hold a commercial pilots license, have a federal and state police clearance and both a firearms and pistol license. But they still don't want me to have handguns....

I've been thinking about getting into LE for a while, but the police in Australia spend more time harrassing law abiding citizens then catching criminals. My plan at this stage is to join a sheriffs office in the north western corner of the state. I love fishing and hunting, as well as the outdoors so I suspect the Glacier region to be the spot for me.

Couple of questions,

Am I able to come on a tourist visa and apply for citizenship if I can find a sponsor?

Can I buy a rifle, like a 10/22 or a nice Varmint rifle to do some hunting while I'm looking around?

Is there much work around at the moment, not necessarily LE, but something to do while I look for a cop job?

Just tell me to piss off if i'm not welcome, but I will greatly appreciate any assistance and info I receive!

Cheers boys
    Hello to you.
    I see that a couple of good links were provided but think that you might find these a bit closer to what you are looking for:
    USCIS Home Page and then scroll down till you see the Visit the US area. Where it say's Extend my Stay.
    Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure

I see santa has told you a bit about Eastern Washington, so if you make it here to Washington State, don't be a stranger.
    And thanks for the heads up on what is going on it other parts of the globe.

You might want to forget to mention the part about how you like your gun rights when you apply for your visa. The current federal administration is not gun friendly and if you get the wrong person anywhere along the process they might look for a reason to deny your entry. Once you get here things should go your way soon enough.

Good on ya' mate.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

I don't know if you are set on Montana but it's neighbor to the east, North Dakota, is booming in the oil and gas industry and since many unemployed here went there to work there has not been much in the way of homes or apartments to stay in so a lot of construction in that area is happening. I believe most of the work is in western ND which wouldn't be far from MT border.

What is your pilot license? Rotorwing or fixed wing? I read there is a shortage of rotorwing pilots, many needed for offshore drilling shuttles. If it's fixed wing Alaska could always use some good "bush" pilots and they are very gun friendly there. I think with a commercial pilot's license you would have many opportunities available. Maybe you could work for the state police in Montana as a pilot.
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Talk to Tuckers Mom on here, I think she is from down under and may be of some help to ya.
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    That's more of an DHS issue, but I doubt it. See the State Department for Visa requirements. Since 9/11 the requirements to enter the US have gotten more strict.
    Better tell the Mexicans, Central Americans and South Americans that, they seemed to have found a loophole

Just a thought but if since you like to fish and hunt the southern states are having problems with feral pig, nutria, python and tegu lizard. I believe you can get paid for the capture or killing of all. Nutria is paying 5-10 dollars a pelt. Some farmers are paying good money to slaughter the feral pig. Don't know about the python and lizard.

lol..this thread is from 2009..I wonder if he ever made it here?

dodge1616 is offline Debbie Dodge

As a native Montanan I say welcome! I presume you are already living here and have been for the past year or so...please give us an update on your Montana ventures...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12