ccw dui application question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ccw dui application question

This is a discussion on ccw dui application question within the Nevada Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I was convicted of a DUI about 4 years ago. I see that on the application they ask if you ...

Default ccw dui application question

I was convicted of a DUI about 4 years ago. I see that on the application they ask if you have been convicted of DUI in the last five years. Does this mean I am automaticaly denied, or is it just taken into consideration. I have never had any other problems with the law have held the same job and residence for 20+ years. Any info would be great. Thank you

captn1

Was it a felony DUI? If it was that would be a definite problem.

I would contact your local licensing authority and ask them directly. It would suck to spend all the time, money, and effort to get everything ready to be turned down for something like this.
    -Austin

What are Grounds for Denial?
    Of course, a permit will not be issued to a person who is an ex-felon who has not had his civil rights legally restored, including the right to possess firearms.
    The statute also provides that a permit will not be issued to a person who:
    1. Currently has a warrant outstanding for his arrest.
    2. Has ever been declared by a Judge to be either incompetent or insane.
    3. Within the past five years has been admitted to a mental health facility.
    4. Within the past five years has been a habitual user of alcohol or controlled substances, or been convicted of driving under the influence (DUI), or been committed to a rehabilitation program for alcohol or controlled substances.*
    5. Within the past three years has been convicted in any state of a misdemeanor of a violent nature, or involving force, or threatened use of force.
    6. Has been convicted of a felony in any state.
    7. Has been convicted of a crime involving violence or stalking, or under a restraining order for domestic violence.
    8. Is on parole or probation.
    9. Within the past five years has been a subject of a court requirement imposed as a condition of withholding a judgment of conviction of a felony, or suspension of a sentence for conviction of a felony.
    10. Has made a false statement on an application for a concealed weapon permit.

From the Nevada State Rifle and Pistol Assn.

It was not a felony. Just a misdimeaner. Has any one attemted to obtain a ccw and been denied or aproved? I realize it says grounds for, I just don't know how they look at it.

Thank you

captn

It's pretty clear. It says The statute also provides that a permit will not be issued to a person who: has been convicted of driving under the influence (DUI).

It's not ambiguous at all. Doesn't say anything about misdemeanor vs. felony. If you've been convicted within the last 5 years you will be denied.

Obviously I don't make these decisions so I don't know if they would overlook your conviction. I realize you are looking for any answer to give you hope, I just don't see it there. I don't think they would forgive one of those situations like a DUI, but not any other in that list.

Not trying to be harsh, but actions have consequences. In a year you should be good to go. Speak to an attorney in Nevada if you need a better understanding, the internet is not always the best place to get info, it's just a starting point.

Thank you for the input. If any one has any knowledge you attempting to obtain one, I would be interested in the results. I know that my actions were wrong and am definatly sorry for that mistake. I am wondering if I should submit an application and see or if it may hurt my chances later. If i'm denied now.

Thank you all again.

captn1

Quote Originally Posted by captn1 View Post
    I was convicted of a DUI about 4 years ago. I see that on the application they ask if you have been convicted of DUI in the last five years. Does this mean I am automaticaly denied, or is it just taken into consideration. I have never had any other problems with the law have held the same job and residence for 20+ years. Any info would be great. Thank you

captn1
    That's pretty much what it means.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Thank you for the input. If any one has any knowledge you attempting to obtain one, I would be interested in the results. I know that my actions were wrong and am definatly sorry for that mistake. I am wondering if I should submit an application and see or if it may hurt my chances later. If i'm denied now.

Thank you all again.

captn1
    Looks to me from what Stiofan posted about the requirements that for you to apply now you will be wasting your time and maney. I doubt that it will hurt your chances later but why waste you money. Looks like you will just have to wait another year and then apply. If you have some outstanding reason, such as featr from an ex-spouse that has vowed to get rid of you, then you could contact a lawyer and see if they can help. Otherwise be thankful that you only have one more year of "probation" and don't screw up again. I don't consider first offense DUI as a major crime and back in my younger days I was lucky to not have been caught and not have been involved in a wreck while drunk. However when I hear about someone with their third, fourth and fifth DUI there goes someone to dang dumb to be trusted with a DL, CPL, gun or much of anything else. If you don't learn after the first two then it takes a lot to convince me that you will ever learn.

Good luck

Thank you all again.

captn1
    You might want to look into expungement. I'm not sure in Nevada but I know some states an expungement is basically the same as a judge saying that you are no longer guilty of xxx crime. This is something that I would get some good legal council on if it where me. I personally would save my fees for right now and add them to a little savings account that you could use to fund the fight. Hope it works out for you whatever you descide.

NRS: CHAPTER 179 - SPECIAL PROCEEDINGS OF A CRIMINAL NATURE; SEALING RECORDS OF CRIMINAL PROCEEDINGS; REWARDS; FORMS

Unfortunately, it DOES mean no CCW permit until five years have passed.

However, a NV sheriff does have the option of issuing a temporary permit. BUT I would NOT count on that happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast