Can someone educate me on
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone educate me on

This is a discussion on Can someone educate me on within the Nevada Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Whats the deal with going into the desert and doing target practice? Any do's or donts? Any cool spots south ...

Default Can someone educate me on

Whats the deal with going into the desert and doing target practice? Any do's or donts? Any cool spots south of Henderson?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Well, to shoot on BLM land, the following applies:

When shooting pistols or rifles, you must be 5,000 feet from any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
    When shooting shotguns, BB Guns, or Air Rifles, you must be 1,000 feet from any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.

A friend of mine mentioned that he shot just north of the Indian Reservation off Highway 95. I don't know the area, so that's pretty much all I know.

There are a few good places up north 95. If you take the Mt Charelston turn off about 7+ miles? I forget now, there is a dirt road to the south, take it around a few bends and you will see a dirt backstop set up and many spent targets. My ccw class went there to qualify. The teacher told us this was a perfectly legal place to shoot. There are a couple places up here.
    The second place to go is between the Mt Charelston and Lee Canyon turn off. There will be a Corn Creek turn off to the east, but take the highway divider and go west. Follow the powerline road and you will come to the base of a mountain where plenty of people go. This is a BLM property, and plenty far off the highway.

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

I realize that desert land is mostly uninhabited, but is it legal to shoot there if it's not an outdoor range?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Default Can someone educate me?

tatted, I used to live in Casa Grande, AZ, and I could drive ten minutes in any direction, and as long as I did not shoot within a quarter mile of a residence or across a road, then it is fine. That is the big advantage of a desert. If someone does report you, all that happens is that you may be asked to move somewhere else.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I realize that desert land is mostly uninhabited, but is it legal to shoot there if it's not an outdoor range?

That's it... The whole outdoors is your range. Around every bend in the road is a new hill and back stop. Nice place to visit, but I'd miss the green and lakes like we have here.
    Semper Fi

I live in central Nevada and we've always observed the 1 mile rule (which is probably the 5000' rule). I didn't know about the 1000' rule, but it makes sense.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

For those of you who do go out shooting in the desert, what do you use as a backstop?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I live in a valley with North/South running mountain ranges on both sides. I use the mountains as a backstop. I'm just careful to pick a location with no mountain access roads behind it. Our local shooting range is set up the same way.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Default Long week end drive

Seriously, Tattedupboy, plan a long week end, fly into Phoenix, rent a car and drive to Vegas. Then Fly Home from Vegas. And I'll bet ya you'll see some peoples out plinkin' . You'll drive through some really cool country and ecosystems.
    I have family out in the High Desert in Kallifornia. We just drove a few miles from the house, set up our targets on a old saw horse and practices. Gotta watch for the snakes though... As long as you can shoot them first....
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast