NV CCW Permit Holders Forum - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

NV CCW Permit Holders Forum

This is a discussion on NV CCW Permit Holders Forum within the Nevada Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Do you know if the issue of qualifying with semiautomatics will be a topic of discussion?...

Do you know if the issue of qualifying with semiautomatics will be a topic of discussion?
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

-Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    Do you know if the issue of qualifying with semiautomatics will be a topic of discussion?
    I suspect that is on several people's list of issues to be brought up. It certainly is on my list!

netentity is offline Obama is a mack daddy!

That was addressed during the last meeting. Bernie Anderson is the Assemblyperson that shot down that change to the NV CFP statute. As the Assembly Judiciary Chairman, he has the power to table any bills pertaining to NV CFP or firearms in general as they have to go through that committee to make it to the Assembly floor for a vote. Last session it was either take the any revolver or lose recognition due to some last minute work by State Senator John Lee to get Anderson to kick the bill out of Committee by leaving the semi-auto qualification requirements as is.

The only way to get the specific semi-auto pistol qualification requirement to get Anderson voted out of office. Since he is a lame duck if he gets reelected, no telling what chaos he's going to cause this time around.
    Last edited by netentity; 08-28-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    That was addressed during the last meeting. Bernie Anderson is the Assemblyperson that shot down that change to the NV CFP statute. As the Assembly Judiciary Chairman, he has the power to table any bills pertaining to NV CFP or firearms in general as they have to go through that committee to make it to the Assembly floor for a vote. Last session it was either take the any revolver or lose recognition due to some last minute work by State Senator John Lee to get Anderson to kick the bill out of Committee by leaving the semi-auto qualification requirements as is.

The only way to get the specific semi-auto pistol qualification requirement to get Anderson voted out of office. Since he is a lame duck if he gets reelected, no telling what chaos he's going to cause this time around.

I certainly agree that Bernie is dangerous and needs to be voted out of office!

However, we'll again try for "any semi auto" in 2009.

The good news: Bernie was the only person in the world that opposed the change. Even the NSCA supported the change.

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post

The good news: Bernie was the only person in the world that opposed the change. Even the NSCA supported the change.
    And he one of the people who can stop it next session. The Judiciary Committee chairs are the most powerful posts in the State legislature with respect to firearm legislation.

Even semi-auto and caliber would be a better change over any specific semi-auto. Perhaps it can be changed to that if Bernie is still in office. Another note is for LEOSA, a retire LEO only needs to qualify with any revolver and any semi-auto pistol.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post

It's unfortunate that it only takes one or two rotten apples to ruin the whole barrel. I wouldn't mind seeing the semiauto qualification change. It would be a heck of a lot easier for CCW instructors when they teach their intitial permit and renewal courses. The time they save alone would make it worth it for them.
    "What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    And he one of the people who can stop it next session. The Judiciary Committee chairs are the most powerful posts in the State legislature with respect to firearm legislation.

Even semi-auto and caliber would be a better change over any specific semi-auto. Perhaps it can be changed to that if Bernie is still in office. Another note is for LEOSA, a retire LEO only needs to qualify with any revolver and any semi-auto pistol.
    I watched the Forum on the net today. It was informative and interesting. I was happy to hear that the NSCA supports the semiauto issue and the NICS exemption.

t11spanner is offline Dispatcher Extraordinaire

I too watched. Very interesting.

Very good points made.

My questions about what I observed are: Are they really going to push to bring our CCW permit inline with the background checks?

Does the committee really think that the counties are NOT asking for serial numbers? Pershing county does.

Pershing will not let you list more than two weapons on your permit. Pershing only let me "register" my two semi's, and not my revolver, even though I qualified with a revolver. So I carry a copy of my qualification certificate just in case.

Carl
    Pack your bags, were going on a guilt trip!

Quote Originally Posted by t11spanner View Post
    I too watched. Very interesting.

Very good points made.

My questions about what I observed are: Are they really going to push to bring our CCW permit inline with the background checks?

Does the committee really think that the counties are NOT asking for serial numbers? Pershing county does.

Pershing will not let you list more than two weapons on your permit. Pershing only let me "register" my two semi's, and not my revolver, even though I qualified with a revolver. So I carry a copy of my qualification certificate just in case.

Carl
    While the forum was informative, it did make it clear to me that the NSCA is not totally aware of their members' actions. They are misinformed on some things such as serial numbers and CCW instructor policies.

I was surprised to hear about some of the CCW training changes such as demonstrating ability to handle a firearm. I did not understand the shooting position thing. Although I can still work out a little bit, my knees are not in the best of shape and I have had back surgery. Whatever is required, I will do what I can.

While the forum was informative, it did make it clear to me that the NSCA is not totally aware of their members' actions. They are misinformed on some things such as serial numbers and CCW instructor policies.

I was surprised to hear about some of the CCW training changes such as demonstrating ability to handle a firearm. I did not understand the shooting position thing. Although I can still work out a little bit, my knees are not in the best of shape and I have had back surgery. Whatever is required, I will do what I can.
    The Douglas County Undersheriff sort of put his foot in his mouth with the statement regarding shooting positions. I attribute it to nothing more than a simple faux pas. Firearm training for LEOs are totally different than for civilians since the mindset is personal protection. The mindset for LEOs is public safety. LEOs are also required to apprehend subjects. You're trying to get career LEOs to think along the lines of what's reasonable for a civilian. Civilians are not required to and in fact it's discouraged that you do. I have trained people in scooters and wheelchairs. If they can hit the target at 3, 5 and 7 yards using the present NVSCA qualification standards for NV CFPs, as far as I'm concerned they're good.

Also keep in mind that many of these qualifications occur on an indoor range where you can't do anything other than standing or perhaps sitting.

They are also not also entirely aware of the law.

The two big issues I have was the their knowledge of non-resident permits.

Nevada has a statutory definition of residency which is NRS 482.103. If you are required to get a NV DL and NV plates on your vehicle you are a Nevada resident and therefore may be summoned to serve on a jury in Nevada. If you're a NV resident, you're required to get a NV CFP within 60 days of establishing residency.

Derringers. If you have qualified with any revolver, you are automatically authorized to carry any single or double barrel derringer per NRS 202.3653. What it should be is semi-auto and other rather than revolvers to remove the confusion.

If the NVSCA is going to hold everything to the higher background check standard Nevada with the State Criminal Repository then our CFPs need to be NICS exempt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast