Governor vetoes AB246

Governor vetoes AB246

This is a discussion on Governor vetoes AB246 within the Nevada Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Governor Gibbons vetoed the Apprentice Hunting Bill. I don't get it. I thought he was on our side. Looks like ...

Angry Governor vetoes AB246

Governor Gibbons vetoed the Apprentice Hunting Bill. I don't get it. I thought he was on our side. Looks like another politician to get rid of.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    Governor Gibbons vetoed the Apprentice Hunting Bill. I don't get it. I thought he was on our side. Looks like another politician to get rid of.
    Don't rush to judgement. AB-246 was amended to include a bunch of other stuff.

The original bill was very good.

Then came amendments adding a bunch of stuff. See history here: AB246

Read the Governor's veto message here:
    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/...246_052809.pdf

I have been unable to learn much background info concerning the additional amendments to the original bill.

That said, perhaps Governor Gibbons veto is not a bad thing. Actually, I think the Gov did the right thing.

And the most recent action: I heard (from a VERY good and reliable source) Saturday, May 30, the Assembly overrode the Governor's veto of AB 246.

Apparently, the Governor agreed to the action as long as the authors agreed to a slight trailer placed onto another bill to solve his issues.

It went on a 41-0 vote.

On to the Senate today (Sunday, May 31).

Perhaps the Governor's valid concerns will be addressed and the bill will still be enacted.

Thanks for the extra info. I read a quick release from the NRA, but they didn't mention that extra baggage had been attached to the bill. This makes sense, as Governor Gibbons usually votes pro-gun.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

You're welcome.

I too thought the NRA should have provided more info. From the info available (the amended bill and Gov's veto message), I think Gov Gibbons did the right thing.

We should know real soon the final disposition of the bill.

AB-246 passed the Senate last night (Sunday, May 31, 2009) and was enrolled; see the final bill here: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/...B/AB246_EN.pdf

AB-246 history here: AB246

Note I received regarding my correspondence to the Nevada Legislature...

<snip>
    "AB 246 ended up with a bad amendment in it. We overrode the veto, but will get rid of the bad section through another bill."

Assemblyman Ty Cobb
    </snip>