Concealed carry in National Forests in New Mexico
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By taosgunguy
  • 1 Post By crewdawg1093

Concealed carry in National Forests in New Mexico

This is a discussion on Concealed carry in National Forests in New Mexico within the New Mexico Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; For the life of me I can't find out if it's legal to carry concealed in New Mexico while in ...

Default Concealed carry in National Forests in New Mexico

For the life of me I can't find out if it's legal to carry concealed in New Mexico while in National Forests or Wilderness areas. I like to go hiking in the mountains outside of Albuquerque but have heard of mountain lion problems and would like to take my .357 with me.
    Last edited by johnsonabq; 01-31-2009 at 01:14 AM.
    Jeff
    "I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill!"
    Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 12gauge pump (my favorite )

I believe it is legal to carry in any national forest as long as it is legal for you to carry in that state.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I believe it is legal to carry in any national forest as long as it is legal for you to carry in that state.

DING DING DING we have a winner If you have a concealed carry permit you can carry in the park, if you dont you cant plain and simple

Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    DING DING DING we have a winner If you have a concealed carry permit you can carry in the park, if you dont you cant plain and simple
    I wasn't referring to National Parks, but to National Forests and Wilderness Areas. I believe Parks and Wildlife Refuges were opened up to carry by Dubya last year. I have determined that the state laws apply to these other federal lands. Just wanted to make sure the state didn't make exceptions to these areas.

Thanks, I would feel even better if I could find some sort of confirmation of this.
    Jeff

I found this with a google search. I am sure there is more if you search .

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
    Page 1
    Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands
    First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National
    Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment
    of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws
    concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.
    Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National
    Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased
    gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.

It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized
    general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant,
    quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very
    specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed
    species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.

Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National
    Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general
    firearms deer season.

The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit
    to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle
    while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a
    primitive weapons season or chase only season.

People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as
    they possess a concealed weapon permit.
    Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within
    the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.
    Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.
    Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to
    handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of
    intoxicants or narcotic drugs
    Last edited by HK4U; 01-31-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I found this with a google search. I am sure there is more if you search .

Page 1
    First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National
    Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment
    of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws
    concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.
    Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National
    Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased
    gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.

It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized
    general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant,
    quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very
    specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed
    species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.

Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National
    Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general
    firearms deer season.

The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit
    to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle
    while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a
    primitive weapons season or chase only season.

People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as
    they possess a concealed weapon permit.
    Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within
    the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.
    Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.
    Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to
    handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of
    intoxicants or narcotic drugs
    Yes! That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
    Jeff

HK4U nice find. So you can carry even on a Sunday in NM

Thank the Lord that the bad guys honor the Sabbath.

I was curious of this as well so I called the ranger station. Here's the basics of what I was told.

You may open carry in a national forest, concealed with a permit, but you may not carry, open or concealed, into a building that is part of the forestry as that is considered a federal building. However, carrying or not, it is still 100% illegal to discharge a firearm in a national forest. So essentially, have it all you want, just don't fire it. Silly really.