NY pistol permit DENIED!!!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

NY pistol permit DENIED!!!

This is a discussion on NY pistol permit DENIED!!! within the New York Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Hi everyone, I'm a resident on Westchester County, in wonderful NY. I'm looking to get some advice on my current ...

Default NY pistol permit DENIED!!!

Hi everyone,

I'm a resident on Westchester County, in wonderful NY. I'm looking to get some advice on my current pistol permit dilemma.....here it goes:

Applied for a Westchester County pistol permit back in 06, just for sport shooting (no ccw). I waited 8 months for a response and was denied. The denial was based on a disorderly conduct arrest, along with unlicensed operation in 2002. The grounds for denial were that I "Lack the moral character necessary to posses a handgun". I spoke with a layer who informed me about filing an article 78 to appeal the decision, but ultimately he felt I would be better waiting a year and re-applying.

I waited and re-applied in September of 09.............Just got my response in the mail and DENIED AGAIN!!!!!!!!

I have yet again been denied on the same grounds of "Lacking moral character". My record is clean aside from that one incident in 2002. I'm really just shocked that I have been denied again....I guess the fact that I am the responsible owner of 2 long guns doesn't come into play when it comes to a pistol.

I will be filing the article 78 this time, although I'm not that optimistic about the outcome.

Anyone have a similar situation?

Any pointers on how to purse this?

It's amazing how little things can come back to haunt you. File the appeal and don't give up.

Good Luck!!!
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

Have you checked or, seen your rap sheet? Call the court where you were charged and, ask for them to seal record. I dont understand why they would deny you. Back in 1996 I was arrested and charged with an felony But, was able to get my permit the case was dismissed agaisnt me. did you have an conviction? then I Respectfully asked the court to seal or expunge my record they did I still told pistol permit office and gave them paperwork but I was Approved Good Luck let us know the outcome.

gdcleanfun is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by firstnonly View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a resident on Westchester County, in wonderful NY. I'm looking to get some advice on my current pistol permit dilemma.....here it goes:

Applied for a Westchester County pistol permit back in 06, just for sport shooting (no ccw). I waited 8 months for a response and was denied. The denial was based on a disorderly conduct arrest, along with unlicensed operation in 2002. The grounds for denial were that I "Lack the moral character necessary to posses a handgun". I spoke with a layer who informed me about filing an article 78 to appeal the decision, but ultimately he felt I would be better waiting a year and re-applying.

I waited and re-applied in September of 09.............Just got my response in the mail and DENIED AGAIN!!!!!!!!

I have yet again been denied on the same grounds of "Lacking moral character". My record is clean aside from that one incident in 2002. I'm really just shocked that I have been denied again....I guess the fact that I am the responsible owner of 2 long guns doesn't come into play when it comes to a pistol.

I will be filing the article 78 this time, although I'm not that optimistic about the outcome.

Anyone have a similar situation?

Any pointers on how to purse this?
    Got a lawyer? No? Get a lawyer.

I'm afraid for now your only recorse would be a Lawyer

You will need a lawyer if you want any chance of getting a pistol permit.

Same garbage happened to me in Delaware County after waiting 11 months. The "Lack the moral character necessary to posses a handgun" as grounds for denial were used on me too.

Three arrests in my 60 years (No felonies; 2 violations; 1 Misdemeanor that was dismissed, 40 years ago, getting all fingerprint cards back after 6 months) - all openly reported on my application. At the time, I was (and still am) a Licensed Mental Health professional in two distinct professions, in both NY and MA. I had just retired (on a NYS Retirement Pension) as a Forensic Psychologist & was a Certified Trainer for the NYS Commission for Corrections (training LEO's, including the Delaware County Sheriff's Dept.). Additionally, I was already licensed to carry concealed in 28 states.

Studying the NY statues, I found it's apparently the "boilerplate catch-all phrase" that's used to routinely deny issuing the permit by the NY "hacks" when you are dealing with "gun-grabbers" and/or you tick off a Pistol Clerk (maybe you asked too many questions or ?)...the whole system is corrupt, inequitably biased and totally unconstitutional.

You can appeal the denial now under NYS Law, but good luck! It will get drug out for years in "Administrative Limbo".

or

Wait until after the McDonald v. Chicago decision comes down. (I imagine Schumer, Bloomberg, Cuomo, et. al. are crapping their knickers over that one). But don't hold your breath...NY will only go down "kickin' & screamin'".

or

Do what I did - Get outta Dodge!

I solved the problem by moving to the Free State of New Mexico. Now, I carry daily (concealed or open depending on how I feel) a CZ 75 P-01 14 rd 9mm (and keep an AK-47 loaded, cocked & locked in my truck). I'm Licensed to carry concealed in 34 states. NY is not one of them, but that doesn't bother me because I will never go back there again, now that I know how it feels to truly be a free American.

This is aweful. New york is such a horrible, corrupt nation.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mkuisi8mo View Post
    Do what I did - Get outta Dodge!

I solved the problem by moving to the Free State of New Mexico. Now, I carry daily (concealed or open depending on how I feel) a CZ 75 P-01 14 rd 9mm (and keep an AK-47 loaded, cocked & locked in my truck). I'm Licensed to carry concealed in 34 states. NY is not one of them, but that doesn't bother me because I will never go back there again, now that I know how it feels to truly be a free American.
    Good for you! You "voted with your feet". NY is hopeless and even when the McDonald case is won, I don't see it making any difference in the state of NY because "technically" NY is a may-issue state and they know how wiggle around the "may-issue" when denying your 2nd amendment rights.

Dont know what to tell you, also dont know your personal situation, I did not move for the sole reason to get a handgun permit, as I moved south from upstate NY 27 years ago, they did not have permits here then but now they sure as hell do, as a matter of fact I may go buy my 10th handgun today, get the Lawyer, pay him or her well, (it always helps) and keep pushin for it

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast