Niagara County pistol permit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Niagara County pistol permit

This is a discussion on Niagara County pistol permit within the New York Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Has anyone recently obtained a Niagara County pistol permit? If so how long did it take to complete the application ...

7PM

Default Niagara County pistol permit

Has anyone recently obtained a Niagara County pistol permit?

If so how long did it take to complete the application process and what did the process consist of after getting fingerprinted?

I was fingerprinted two months ago and was told the process could take from six months to a year, my character references received and returned their questionnaires within days of applying.

I'm simply wondering what's next and how much longer will I wait to find out if I get my permit without restrictions.

Thanks in advance

twogunwilly is offline American

Did you receive your permit yet? I was told 4 months when I applied 6 weeks ago although a buddy says a guy he works with got his in 2 months.

7PM

I have not been contacted by anyone in regard to my permit application. I will update this thread with details when I hear something or if it makes it to the six month mark, whichever comes first.

I just had an interview today with the permit detective and it sounds like I should have the permit in a week or two more.He said the chief has to sign off,then the judge and the paperwork goes back to the permit office and I get the OK in the mail.
    If there are no unexpected delays that will make it 9-10 weeks,not bad.

My letter came in the mail today,a couple days short of 9 weeks. I picked up the permit then went to Buffalo Gun Center, just to look around and get some ideas. Ended up buying a Ruger P95with 3 mags,case and lock for $350. The county permit clerk didn't seem too surprised to see me back so quickly,she must see it all the time.

Hey 7 & 98,

My timeline has been pretty similar to 98's, I applied in January. I have a couple old arrest's, but no convictions. I was told when I applied, that I wouldn't hear anything for probably 5-6 months & would probably have a hearing with the Judge. My ref's got there survey within a couple days. I had my personal interview 2 1/2 weeks ago. The leo told me that neither he, nor the previous investigator had any issues with my past & didn't see any problems. Maybe he was just fluffing me.

Anyway, after reading this & and another post, I figured I would call the permits office. Well I just did, & was told that due to my arrest's, not to expect to hear anything again for about a year.

Obviously pretty bummed, but at least I have not been denied yet.

It's sad that there is such a difference in long guns & pistols in the eye's of NY.

3d

That seems crazy that they can hold arrests against you even without a conviction.

It is, and the most recent was over 15 yrs ago. If you have ANY issues, it will delay the permit process. It took my cousin 3 years from the time he turned his app in until he got his. Most counties in NY basically look for reasons NOT to issue permits. They call themselves a "may issue" state, but in reality they should call it a "will try not to issue" state.

7PM

Well it has been over six monthes since I completed my application and I can only imagine how much longer it's going to take to be processed after reading this. . .

Pistol permits being delayed Local News Niagara Gazette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast