Can you transport through the state of NY
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can you transport through the state of NY

This is a discussion on Can you transport through the state of NY within the New York Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Can a non resident passing throught the state of NY on route to another destination transport firearms if locked in ...

Default Can you transport through the state of NY

Can a non resident passing throught the state of NY on route to another destination transport firearms if locked in the trunk and not loaded?
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

If you are legal to possess that firearm in another state and it is secured in a hard sided locked case with a trigger lock or cable lock rendering the firearm unable to load a round and fire. You can pass through any state as long as you are passing through without stops unless getting food or gas. There is something about if you were to stay over in a hotel or motel but unsure.
    Have a safe trip

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    This was helpful, thanks.
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

I would still avoid it if I could. There have been numerous incidents where people where arrested at NY airports that had properly secured firearms in their possession and wanted to correctly check them in with the airline. I realize of course they were flying and not driving but simply said NY is just insane when it comes to guns. Just my 2 cents.

In NYS, if you do not have a NYS license (and in NYC if you do not have a NYC licence) even transporting a handgun in your trunk is a presumptive felony.

Even if it is unloaded, trigger locked, case locked, and trunk locked, it is a presumptive felony. If you have ammo locked in the trunk, it is considered accessible. This adds to your sentence, which will be in a NYS penitentiary.

The presumption extends to any passengers in the vehicle, whether or not they know the firearm is in the trunk. Note the exemptions noted in the NRA info.

Title 18> Part 1> Chapter 44> S. 926A is considered a defense in NYS, not an exemption.

The NRA link is accurate, but I just want readers to grasp the extent of the difficulties one faces in NYS/NYC if caught. NJ is equally as anti-2A.

The question is, will the local DA press charges?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

so how do you get to the rest of the country, when blocked in by the state of NY? There is no way to get west or south without crossing NY or NJ

santa is offline santa

New York City and State needs to read the United States Constution where it says that the Constution and Federal law is the supreme law of the land superceeding New York State and City law. However to aviod any problem I aviod gun unfriendly states like New York or California and I let them know why.

Quote Originally Posted by wild eyed willy View Post
    so how do you get to the rest of the country, when blocked in by the state of NY? There is no way to get west or south without crossing NY or NJ
    That's the beauty of gun bans: It's not their problem, it's yours. They don't care a iota how you could possibly comply.

Quote Originally Posted by wild eyed willy:205936
    If you read the New York law carefully there is an exception for people traveling through New York to their final destination in which they would be allowed to carry, as it is federal law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast