County by County Status
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

County by County Status

This is a discussion on County by County Status within the New York Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Everyone, Back in what seems like eons ago, the now defunct www.packing.org website had a great map of New York ...

Default County by County Status

Everyone,

Back in what seems like eons ago, the now defunct www.packing.org website had a great map of New York State, that showed all of the counties and whether they were restrictive, may-issue, or shall-issue. Does anyone know of a place where this map still exists?

If not, I would like to make one for use here on USACarry.org So, please post what you know about your county and surrounding counties. I think is would be good to gather the following information:

County Name
    County Judge's Name
    Judge's Party
    County's Issue Status
    Address of County's online info about permits (if it exists).

I'd be happy to create a county map of the state, color coded to the status and provide to Luke for posting in the New York area of this site. I think it would be a great addition. Considering the willy-nilly nature of how New York State lets county judges issue permits based on their whim, listing NY as a may-issue state doesn't provide a complete picture.

Thanks!

Suppose I should post my own county:

Dutchess County:
    Judge: Thomas J. Dolan
    Judge's Party: Republican
    Shall Issue county

Cortland County:
    Judge: William F. Ames (unrestricted)
    Judge Julie A. Campbell (?)
    Party: unknown

I would call this county Shall-issue. I received an unrestricted licensce from Judge Ames with relatively little pain. Julie Jenkins, the permit clerk is an absolut joy to deal with and can answer anyone's questions. She can be reached throught the county clerk's office.

-Matt

Default Map

here is the map
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awesome!! Where did you find the map?? This give me a great place to start for a new map on USA Carry, presuming Luke is agreeable to it. I'll create a higher resolution map and send to him asking if it can be included in the NY section. Thanks Stevtrains!

OK, here is what I have so far. I'll add a legend next. Does anyone have any updates to this? Particularly for the counties that are still in grey - can anyone tell me whether they are more shall-issue, or more may-issue?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Rensselaer County New York

Rensselaer County

County Court Judge: Patrick McGrath (Democrat)

Judge McGrath requires attendance at a safety course taught by NRA certified Instructors in addition to all background checks and personal references.

New permits are issued restricted to target and hunting. Requests to have the restrictions lifted and a full carry permit issued will be considered by the Judge. An advanced NRA Certified Instructor training course is required, during which proficiency and safety with your carry firearm must be demonstrated to the instructors.
    Last edited by jjohn7077; 10-07-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

I believe for your map that Stueben and Schyler counties should be green. I know people that had no problem obtaining a carry permit in both counties. I am working on getting mine in Chemung. Will keep you posted.

Default Chemung County

Chemung County:
    Judge: Peter Buckley

I received unrestricted. I've been told by scads of people that they can't believe I got unrestricted because this judge rarely ever gives that out. All I did was add a letter to the judge stating my reasons why I thought I should have it and I guess it worked. I would consider this county a may-issue county not a shall issue county based on most peoples reaction.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JBlavl View Post
    Chemung County:
    Judge: Peter Buckley

I received unrestricted. I've been told by scads of people that they can't believe I got unrestricted because this judge rarely ever gives that out. All I did was add a letter to the judge stating my reasons why I thought I should have it and I guess it worked. I would consider this county a may-issue county not a shall issue county based on most peoples reaction.

Josh
    Could you share the reasons you used that worked? I am applying in Onondaga County in March. Thx!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast