Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 26
Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

This is a discussion on Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process within the New York Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; So I got annoyed and emailed. Reply from Erie County is below. Obviously she didn't read it too close, since ...

So I got annoyed and emailed. Reply from Erie County is below. Obviously she didn't read it too close, since she thinks I'm still waiting for the letter. I replied back with the other half below. We'll see if I get a follow up email or phone call. Maybe these people aren't totally useless afterall... The more that complain, maybe they'll listen.

Initial:
    Good afternoon,

I was wondering what the wait time to get the plastic pistol permit in the mail is at the moment. When I submitted my paperwork in person on the 30th of August, the lady indicated that it took 4-6 weeks. I've heard people tell me 2-3 weeks. I called to follow up today, and she said 6-8 weeks. What is the real wait time? Also, I wanted to verify I'll get the permit, coupon, and original receipt in the mail. I wasn't too happy that my only proof of purchase was taken by the department upon submission of my paperwork. The lady I dealt with was the same on both occasions, and wasn't the politest individual. Hopefully someone other than her responds to these emails.

As an aside - why can't we just obtain them in person when submitting all of the final required documentation (letter and receipt)? I've been told that they can be printed in person for adds/deletes. This would save the tax payers some money in postage/mailing/envelopes. It'd save frustrations, and allow people who have been approved by the town, as well as county courts, the ability to obtain the firearm they paid for sooner. If there's any way I can come pick it up in person, please let me know and I'll happy leave work again, pay to park again, and come pick it up.

Thanks in advance,
    (me)

Her reply:

Thank you for contacting the Erie County Clerk's Office. Kathy Hochul has requested that I respond to your email. I apologize that your request has not been answered yet; I was out of the office for a few days and I am still catching up with the emails (and may be for the rest of my life!).

I know this probably sound like an excuse, but we cannot give an exact time frame in which your permit will be issued. It depends on how quickly you supply information, how promptly the police complete the investigation and even how quickly your references respond. Because there is review by the Court, the issuing agency, the permit is not issued at the same times that you submit all of the documentation. I hope this information helps.

PS Your receipt will be returned.

Please let me know if I can be of further service.

Patricia L. Fulwiler, Attorney

Deputy County Clerk - Legal

My followup:
    I appreciate your reply. I may not have been clear enough though. I do understand for the permit approval part, that you can't estimate time for the town background check, judge to sign, etc. Annoying, but none the less I realize that's of your your control. What I emailed about is a bit of a different situation. I received my letter in the mail, and purchased a handgun (which is still stuck at the store, and the reason for my email). My paperwork is in. Took the class, had my fingerprints done. All reference checks completed by the town of Cheektowaga. Erie County Judge signed off. Letter mailed to me. Pistol purchased. Receipt and permit verified, $20.00 paid in your county office, in person, with the letter and receipt. The actual permit - the piece of plastic itself which has my info, and the serial number of the gun on it, which allows me to pick up the gun I purchased, is what I'm waiting on, and the process of which I'm questioning.

What I don't understand, and what I'm looking for clarification on, is why I couldn't get it when I turned in the receipt, paid my $20 to register my first handgun, and verified the information was correct. The rep at the office said they're mailed, which to me makes no sense. For individuals that already have their permit and add or remove a gun to their permit, they're printed on the spot - no wait. Same day. 30 min max. I don't understand why the initial "first print/first issuance" has to take 4-8 weeks to be mailed. It's a waste of tax payer dollars on postage and mailing, not to mention holding up peoples money in a firearm they paid for and can't pick up, use, or train with. I've been waiting four weeks now, to pick up a gun I paid for a month ago, and the only thing keeping me from it is the actual plastic permit to be mailed to me. The store said they've heard of people getting it via mail in 2-3 weeks, was told in person when I dropped off the paperwork 4-6 weeks, and when I called after 3.5 weeks to follow up, was told 6-8 weeks. It's printing a piece of plastic, and putting it in an envelope. Everything was approved. I'm just trying to figure out what the hold up is, and why I couldn't have gotten it when I dropped everything off, when clearly it's possible. If arrangements could be made, I can be down there at 4p tomorrow to pick it up in person. Happily, pick it up in person.

I'd be really happy to speak with you if you want to give me a call. (left my info)

I know Pat Fulwiler (she is a an attorney.) I'll be very surprised if she doesn't give you a complete response.

I was under the impression that the initial plastic card came from Albany and the county had no control over the time frame. Perhaps I'm wrong. If the cards are printed locally then there is no logical reason why they can't be done on the spot.

I recently had a change of address and a new card was printed and given to me in less than 10 minutes.

BTW - when I got my permit it took 12 1/2 weeks to receive the card in the mail.

NY CCW permits are ridiculous

Once the Westchester law suit is done that should help change things in New York for good.Making it difficult unreasonable is the next challenge.New York requires good cause for a permit to carry ,with two SCOTUS rulings the second amendment is an individual right.

Cool Erie County Pistol Permit

I just received my pistol permit approval in the mail today 10/14/2010. I applied & handed in all my information 3/14/2010 (fingerprints, references -including the approval from my police Dept to use someone outside of my suburb). My references were not called until July 13,2010 and all 4 of my references were contacted at one time. However the Cherktowaga police department did not send the paperwork back to the Pistol Permit Dept until 8/24/2010..almost 2 months after all the paperwork was done. It sat on the officers desk. I spoke with Pete in Pistol Permit Dept on 9/24/2010 and he told me it had been sent to the judge for approval or denial so I just had to wait. He told me I was past the biggest hurdle and would be hearing something but he could not give me a timeframe. When I got home today 10/14/2010 and opened my mail I received the approval letter. So in all it took about 7 months and that's partly because I live in Cheektowaga. I was told they are the worst department when it comes to pistol permits.

Tina115, Congradulations on receiving your Pistol Permit. Actually Your Time Frame is Good. I know Poeple that have been waiting for over an year. So, You Received your Permit Quicker than most. One of my Friends submitted his permit in Dec 09 And, still has received his Approval Letter. His Permit is sitting on one of the Detectives desk in Lackawanna Where it has been for 6 Months Yesterday he finally worked up the nerve to call the Chief of Dectectives and, The Major to Complain about this Dectective and, how he has sat on the paperwork for 6 months now his references were contacted in May 2010 and to date still sits on this guys desk... Hopefully now that he contacted his Higher Ups. He will get off his Lazy A- - and take the Permit downtown. anyways Im glad you received yours Good Luck to you....
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

Everyone thought that the NYC area suburbs were bad at least in 3-6 months you get a permit and no annoying calls and interviews.The upstate counties are very slow indeed to wait over a year for a restricted permit and wait a couple of weeks to get a judge to allow a handgun purchase is just unreasonable.

I just got my permit from Erie county the timeline went as follows:

turn in application (applied for full unrestricted carry) 5/4/2010
    electronic finger prints 5/4/2010
    Police interview with Town of Hamburg PD 7/3/2010
    Return of reference material to Hamburg PD 7/6/2010
    Letter of approval from county clerk (target/hunting restriction) 9/30/2010
    File registration paperwork with permit office, get picture, thumb print for card 10/19/2010
    Received permit card (target/hunting) and purchase tag in mail 10/29/2010

I was told that the reason they take so long to send the permit to you in the mail after registering your gun is the Judge signs off on your first pistol registration, after the first they just process the paperwork right in the pistol permit office for additional pistols. I know many counties don't make the Judge sign off on the first pistol purchase, my friend in Jamestown was able to register his first pistol in person and walk out with his printed permit card.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke1975 View Post
    I just got my permit from Erie county the timeline went as follows:

turn in application (applied for full unrestricted carry) 5/4/2010
    electronic finger prints 5/4/2010
    Police interview with Town of Hamburg PD 7/3/2010
    Return of reference material to Hamburg PD 7/6/2010
    Letter of approval from county clerk (target/hunting restriction) 9/30/2010
    File registration paperwork with permit office, get picture, thumb print for card 10/19/2010
    Received permit card (target/hunting) and purchase tag in mail 10/29/2010

I was told that the reason they take so long to send the permit to you in the mail after registering your gun is the Judge signs off on your first pistol registration, after the first they just process the paperwork right in the pistol permit office for additional pistols. I know many counties don't make the Judge sign off on the first pistol purchase, my friend in Jamestown was able to register his first pistol in person and walk out with his printed permit card.
    wow, just 5 1/2 months. mine took 16 months. I heard a political ad for Kathy Hochul the other day claiming she has significantly reduced the time it takes to get a pistol permit. Sounds like she was telling the truth.

Default Waiting...

Congratulations to you all! :)

I applied the first week of January. Would it be normal not to have heard a single word yet? (No references contacted, etc)

I'm so tempted to contact them... but I don't want to jynx it.

Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast