Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process - Page 58
Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

This is a discussion on Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process within the New York Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Originally Posted by golocx4 Ziggy if you haven't' called the PPO yet and inquired, do so now. Because the methods ...

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    Ziggy if you haven't' called the PPO yet and inquired, do so now.
    Because the methods being used are the same as they were in the 30's things can get lost or mis-placed
    Tell them that Amherst PD has completed their part and you would like an update please.
    Thanks, I called this week and was told the judge reviewed my application and I should get the letter in "a few weeks". But he wouldnt share the verdict, which I understand. Almost there, Ill update this thread as things progress. Thanks all.

Turned my paperwork in Monday to get my restrictions off my permit in Orange county. Nice line at the window for new permits and new gun ammendments. Was told my judge doesn't ever want to interview anyone and will just make decision and let me know. Oh well we will see how long it takes. My son got his initial permit application to the judge after about a month of wait but hasn't heard anything yet. He has a different judge. They seem to be moving much quicker now than in the past. His has been at the judges for about 3 weeks.

golocx4 is offline Got Beretta's?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy9mm View Post
    Thanks, I called this week and was told the judge reviewed my application and I should get the letter in "a few weeks". But he wouldnt share the verdict, which I understand. Almost there, Ill update this thread as things progress. Thanks all.
    You are welcome. No, they won't tell you over the phone.
    Congratulations on getting your license.
    Now, when it arrives go buy a handgun. Do not be afraid of a Revolver. When you pull the trigger they go bang.
    When it comes to Semi's I like DA/SA that is why I carry Beretta's. But the choice is yours. Just like driving a Ford or a Chevy.
    Once you have your gun. Join SCOPE!
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy9mm View Post
    Called to check on mine on 12/27 - (applied ~5/9/12), and was told that everything was returned to the office, and all that remained was to walk it upstairs to the judge. I was told they had about 200 applications sitting there, so I am hoping my application was in the same stack.

Mess, I doubt it was misplaced. The normal process is for the permit office to wait until the mental health check returns. Due to the large delay from Albany, the permit office began sending out the files to the local PD's without the mental health form in an attempt to keep the logjam from getting even worse.

I applied in Feb 2012, interviewed by EC Sheriff in August, references contacted at the same time. Called the Pistol Permit office today and was told my application was pending Judge approval and that I'd be notified by mail. No time table given to me. Looooooong process...

Called today to check my status. It was not good news, I called about 2 months ago and they said mine was in the next batch to go for approval. When I spoke with the lady at the department she said there are still applications there from March, they had problems with the Sheriffs department and the Judge has been extremely busy and has not approved or received anything for over 2 months and they are overwhelmed with applications. So the wait continues and I would not be surprised if it was another year or so before I get mine. Erie County received my application back at their office Oct 2nd of 2012 from my local PD after all of the other steps were completed in the process just waiting for the Final approval now, I stated the process over a year ago everything filled out and printed by Jan 2nd.

Things in eastern N.Y. Are worse. Live in schenectady, took my safety course in early march 2012. Bought and paid in full for pistol, mid march. Had 4 character reference forms mailed out, heard that they had been rec'd ANSI could come into sheriff's to turn in application and get printed. That was mid April 2012. At that time, everything was in and they waiting began. First week in November, the sheriff's office let me know my application had been forwarded to the county clerks office. Mid January, I got my appointment with the judge for my final interview on February 28. I don't know how long it'll take from there. All in all, probably a year plus to get a permit here.

Just to update..when I called the Erie County pistol permit office to check the status of my permit they told me it was waiting for judge approval...well a week later I received my permit after waiting for almost a year.....and lo and behold....the judge had signed and dated it as of November 5, 2012. Not sure where it sat since then but glad I finally got it.

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    You are welcome. No, they won't tell you over the phone.
    Congratulations on getting your license.
    Now, when it arrives go buy a handgun. Do not be afraid of a Revolver. When you pull the trigger they go bang.
    When it comes to Semi's I like DA/SA that is why I carry Beretta's. But the choice is yours. Just like driving a Ford or a Chevy.
    Once you have your gun. Join SCOPE!
    Received my letter, I was denied an unrestricted license but was granted a target and hunting. Looking to understand the process to remove my restrictions. For my full timeline as an Amherst resident see below.

November 17th 2011 – Application Submitted for an unrestricted permit.
    November 19th 2011 – Electronic Fingerprints Completed
    January 2012 – Application sent to Amherst NY Police Department (According to Erie County Pistol Permit Office, via email)
    September 12th 2012 – Received call from Amherst Police Department.
    September 13th 2012 – References contacted by Amherst Police Department via phone.
    November 5th 2012 – Judge William Boller reviews my Application (According to approval letter)
    December 21st 2012 – Called Erie County Pistol Permit office via phone to inquire about my application, was told that the judge reviewed my application and I should receive my letter in a few weeks.
    January 26th 2013 – Received my letter stating I was approved for target and hunting but did not “demonstrate sufficient proper cause to be granted an unrestricted firearms license."

14 Months, 10 Days. (437 Days)

Hope this helps anyone else understand the "process" in Amherst/NYS in general. Good luck all.

Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast