Illlinois FOID card transferable to NC?

Thread: Illlinois FOID card transferable to NC?

1. Illlinois FOID card transferable to NC?

Just moved from Illinois, where all firearm owners are required to obtain a FOID (Firearm Owner ID). Getting one is not that difficult (provided you have a clean record). I've seen a variety of information as to what I need to do to be legal in NC. Do I need to register my irons? What will I need as ID when I buy ammo?

2. not need id to buy ammo

NC is much like Georgia in that it is a much more gun friendly state. Probably all you will have to do is establish residence, and then pass a background check for your ccw. But you won't need it for ammo purchases. Just be 21 or older to buy your handgun ammo.

You won't need it here. Burn it, shred it, etc.

NC's firearm laws are pretty straight forward, other than needing a permit from the sheriff to purchase a handgun if you don't have a CCW.

What part of the state are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by jcampagna42 View Post
    Just moved from Illinois, where all firearm owners are required to obtain a FOID (Firearm Owner ID). Getting one is not that difficult (provided you have a clean record). I've seen a variety of information as to what I need to do to be legal in NC. Do I need to register my irons? What will I need as ID when I buy ammo?
    I lived in Il from birth til age 21. I rarely go back. Welcome to gun country my friend. Burn your FOID as recommended previous. Got get your conceal permit and practice good habits. Be safe.

No FOID needed here in NC, and your "irons" do not need to be registered unless you live in Durham County. You will need a purchase permit or a CHP to purchase a new handgun.