North Carolina state police phone call .
Results 1 to 9 of 9

North Carolina state police phone call .

This is a discussion on North Carolina state police phone call . within the North Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Just got off the phone with a NC state police captain. I was asking about bringing in a long gun ...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South carolina
    Posts
    18

    Default North Carolina state police phone call .

    Just got off the phone with a NC state police captain. I was asking about bringing in a long gun into nc for a trip. I keep a shotgun in my truck for protection and it stays concealed while here in sc and was wandering if it would be ok like that in nc since I have my cwp. He said it would, and went on to say just follow all of your states rules for cwp and you will be fine. Well I see a problem. The carry laws are close to the same but there not. In nc you can't carry where charged addmission while in sc you can. and other differences also. So does that mean since I'm from sc I can carry where there is addmission charged. I have his phone number and all but I don't feel good about him saying that.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justintimesc View Post
    Just got off the phone with a NC state police captain. I was asking about bringing in a long gun into nc for a trip. I keep a shotgun in my truck for protection and it stays concealed while here in sc and was wandering if it would be ok like that in nc since I have my cwp. He said it would, and went on to say just follow all of your states rules for cwp and you will be fine. Well I see a problem. The carry laws are close to the same but there not. In nc you can't carry where charged addmission while in sc you can. and other differences also. So does that mean since I'm from sc I can carry where there is addmission charged. I have his phone number and all but I don't feel good about him saying that.
    ummm...no. You need to follow the laws of what ever state you happen to be in at the time...not your home state.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South carolina
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Yea I know. Thats what I found so amusing ! That I was told this by a captain at the state police! LEO's realy need more training in order to have the job that they have.

  4. #4
    Ektarr's Avatar
    Ektarr is offline Dedicated Infidel
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Иєш Лєяжşєşŧăŋ
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justintimesc View Post
    LEO's realy need more training in order to have the job that they have.
    Don't MOST people!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343

    Default

    I didn't know that you could conceal a long gun under the premise of the CCW in NC.
    Is that true?

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbass View Post
    I didn't know that you could conceal a long gun under the premise of the CCW in NC.
    Is that true?
    North Carolina doesn't have a CCW, it's a CCH...Concealed Carry Handgun Permit. No other guns or knives or anything besides a handgun is covered under the permit.

    Guns being transported in the state can be in the trunck unloaded or loaded in a locked case. If you get stopped, you must inform the LEO that you are carrying a firearm and where it is located.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
    North Carolina doesn't have a CCW, it's a CCH...Concealed Carry Handgun Permit. No other guns or knives or anything besides a handgun is covered under the permit.
    Exactly... So the qualifier is in the title of the permit.

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Wait till you try "But the captain said" as a defense in court!

    Why do people ask cops about the law, they are not attorneys and they have absolutely no athority to "explain" the law. They "enforce" the law by making arrests based on their understanding which detains the subject until a PROCECUTOR can determine what law was violated and what charges will be filed.

    If you want legal information call an NC attorney that specializes in gun law, or try the Attorney Generals office, but the opinion of a cop is just that ... an opinion and in this case potentially very wrong.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moore County, NC
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Wait till you try "But the captain said" as a defense in court!

    Why do people ask cops about the law, they are not attorneys and they have absolutely no athority to "explain" the law. They "enforce" the law by making arrests based on their understanding which detains the subject until a PROCECUTOR can determine what law was violated and what charges will be filed.

    If you want legal information call an NC attorney that specializes in gun law, or try the Attorney Generals office, but the opinion of a cop is just that ... an opinion and in this case potentially very wrong.

    Good post...

    Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •