Quote Originally Posted by blume357@ View Post
I thought the buyer had to be a resident of N.C. and be able to show proof of same, when going through an FFL. would that be what the letter from the provost marshall is all about.

N.C.'s permit to purchase law is in my opinion a hold over from the old Jim Crow laws.. that allowed the sheriff to decide who could buy a gun.

According to the ATF I am a resident of N.C. I have (actually my wife has) a summer home in Madison County... I'm still trying to figure out how I can get a N.C. concealed carry permit and etc. Anybody got any ideas how you do this?
As I understand it, you will be able to obtain a purchase permit or CCW permit while on active duty and stationed in NC. The only problem you may run into is the fact that you are from MA. Because MA has a lot of "weird" gun laws, your ability to purchase a gun in NC may be in conflict. I would think this is not going to cause you a problem while here in NC, but may cause some issues when you try to bring the guns back to MA.

The best way to solve this is to go to the local SO and ask about getting purchase permits and or a CCW. If you are at Bragg, you will need to go to the Cumberland CO SO located in the building next to the courthouse in downtown Fayetteville. When you walk in go to the left and it id the first door on your right. The folks there are great and can answer any questions you may have.

Here is a link to the CCSO that explains the process:
Cumberland Sheriff's Office

Good luck.