Best place to live?

Best place to live?

This is a discussion on Best place to live? within the North Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I am lucky because my job will let me live any place I want to. That being said we are ...

Default Best place to live?

I am lucky because my job will let me live any place I want to. That being said we are looking for a place to move and I was wanting some opinions of places in N.C..
    When we move we are looking for a few things:
    A state where we can own and carry guns with little regulation
    A small town in the country, but close to an airport
    Great schools
    Lots of outdoor activities like horseback riding, camping, and hiking.
    Low crime area.
    Mountains
    Snow
    Mild summers

In short a place off the beaten path in the country where we can raise a family.

Any suggestions??
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

What do you consider to be close to an airport? Iredell county has great schools and is in the middle of everything. I live on the south side of Mooresville (NASCAR nation) and am 30 minutes away from the Charlotte airport, and about 90 minutes from Blowing Rock (mountain community). We're also very close to Lake Norman State Park, where you can camp, and minutes away from the lake. I wouldn't consider it a small town, but it's certainly not as busy as Charlotte.

As far as weather goes, we do get a little bit of snow. This year in particular is a bit out of the norm though. Much more snow than usual and much colder. Our normal high for this time of the year is in the 50's. Summers are usually very warm and somewhat humid. But coming from Florida this may be milder to you.

Good luck on your search!

You got me curious - what job let's you live anywhere you please?

Should move to south Burlington Vermont lol. My mom lives in south B right behind the airport lol. But you could live on the outside of the city. Chapel Hill N.C is a nice area I have a few friends who live in that area who say it's vary nice.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Sound like you're describing Asheville. Plenty of small towns around but benefits of a medium sized city. Has an airport, Charlotte is 2 hrs away, Greensville Spartenburg airport is a bit over an hour. Mountains, mild weather. snow. Not sure on schools (my kid is grown so not an issue for me). I'll be moving there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jlamb View Post
    What do you consider to be close to an airport?
    Right now I live in a small town in FL and I drive 1 1/2 hours to the airport each week. Not bad but I wouldn't want to be much farther than that.
    "Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God and Never Forget a Friend. "

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    You got me curious - what job let's you live anywhere you please?
    I am the typical traveling salesman. I work in telecommunications and I'm working in a different city each week.

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    Sound like you're describing Asheville. Plenty of small towns around but benefits of a medium sized city. Has an airport, Charlotte is 2 hrs away, Greensville Spartenburg airport is a bit over an hour. Mountains, mild weather. snow. Not sure on schools (my kid is grown so not an issue for me). I'll be moving there soon.
    I like the Asheville area, I do not want to be in the city, but some place in that part of the state would be awesome. Looking at the map it looked like it was a long drive to an airport though. I wasn't thinking about the Spartenburg airport however