Need clarification on sign posting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Need clarification on sign posting

This is a discussion on Need clarification on sign posting within the North Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; Hello all. I have my CCW and my home state has reciprocity with NC. I am down in NC staying ...

Default Need clarification on sign posting

Hello all. I have my CCW and my home state has reciprocity with NC. I am down in NC staying at a resort. When I arrived I went to the office to check in. Outside the door to the office was the dreaded sign. It states "in accordance with North Carolina Statutes 14-415.11 carry concealed handgun is prohibited."

Now, I did not inquire with the office as yet, but since the sign is posted at the office door, does this mean that it is for the office or the entire place? Other than the one sign there is nothing posted anywhere else on the grounds

Thanks for any info you can give.

I live in PA and looked up the GS of NC where you live and which your provided. Section (8) says this:
    (8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

Since this is the office to the whole resort, according to section (8), this would mean the grounds.

Wow, and when I was reading I found that you cannot carry at a rest stop along the highway in NC either. Geesh!! Remind me not to stop at one when I travel through NC next time.

It is lawful to stop at a state-owned rest stop... this is my error in reading.
    Last edited by wolf_fire; 09-17-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: I spoke an untruth.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Default Need clarification on sign posting

Welp, last time we come here then.

Thanks for the reply.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Notify the resort you will no longer stay there and inform honest gun carrying visitors the name of the resort so they can take their business elsewhere.

Planned on doing just that when we check out!

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    I live in PA and looked up the GS of NC where you live and which your provided. Section (8) says this:
    (8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

Since this is the office to the whole resort, according to section (8), this would mean the grounds.

Wow, and when I was reading I found that you cannot carry at a rest stop along the highway in NC either. Geesh!! Remind me not to stop at one when I travel through NC next time.
    You can carry at a rest stop in NC

Quote Originally Posted by markt99 View Post
    You can carry at a rest stop in NC
    Then why was this in the NC GS:

(c3) As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing reservation.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Then why was this in the NC GS:

(c3) As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing reservation.
    Please notice it says LAWFUL. not unlawful. It is LAWFUL to carry in those places. Ironically I was just looking up this paragraph to back up my claim.

Mark

By the way this paragraph (c3) is in the following section of the statutes for future reference.

14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

I live in NC, and it has always been my interpretation that the sign bans concealed carry past the sign, so if its posted at the entrance to the grounds, then it means everywhere on the grounds, but on a door, it means anywhere past the door. It doesn't make sense to post a sign banning concealed carry everywhere on the grounds somewhere on the grounds but not at the entrance. You would have to have already broken the rule before you would know there was a rule! Of course a lot of things don't make sense in the world, and this is my interpretation with no legal opinion to back it up, just logic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast