Nc Laws - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Nc Laws

This is a discussion on Nc Laws within the North Carolina Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I live out east, and have carried up and down the crystal coast (Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville, Havelock, Emerald Isle, Morehead ...

I live out east, and have carried up and down the crystal coast (Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville, Havelock, Emerald Isle, Morehead City, New Bern, Beaufort) as well as Greenville, Raleigh, and other random places around here.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the "going armed to the terror of the people" bit is a non-issue. If a cop tries to arrest you for this, you would have every right to resist as it would be an illegal arrest (assuming, of course, that you are simply carrying a sidearm in a holster). You can't let crap like this scare you from exercising your rights. If you do, then you've already lost your rights to begin with.

CarolinaJohn, what county do you live in? I will be more than happy to visit a bank in your area to make my point. Openly carried weapons are NOT PROHIBITED in financial institutions, period. Only once have I been questioned for doing this. A man asked, rather loudly, why I had a gun in, of all places, the bank. I told him that State law prohibited me from carrying concealed in a bank even with my permit, so I HAD to carry it like this. He shut up, and everyone else realized I knew what I was doing.

It has already been stated that Chapel Hill is the only municipality with any restrictions specifically on openly carried weapons. The minimum is 6", and even a small Walther PPK qualifies.

As long as you familiarize yourself with NC's gun laws, you will be fine openly carrying. I invite anyone and everyone who carries in NC to do so openly. I couldn't tell you how many people I have educated about their rights and freedoms just because I was carrying. Every person I have met and talked to had no idea that it was legal to carry a firearm for personal protection without having to get permission from the state. You just have to be 18 and legally own your firearm...that's it. I've even been invited to "stop by often" by business owners because they appreciate what I do.

Ok sorry I'll stop ranting. It just irks me when people tell you "it may be legal, but it's just not a good idea". If you don't use your rights, you'll lose your rights. Remember that.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, or anyone else worth suing.

New Hanover County.
    You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

New Hanover, huh? Wilmington is in that county if I'm not mistaken, right? I've open carried out there...never had to stop by a bank, though. I'll have to head out that direction.

Yes Wilmington is here. I just cnnot imagine carrying openly. First of all, I would do it if I knew I wasnt going to jail. Second, I do not like open carry because it takes away the element of surprise. Someone sees you carrying, and then plots something to catch you off guard and put you behind the reaction curve.

In my opinion, people here need to get off the soapbox and reform the laws so that one may carry concealed anywhere!
    You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.

lol I'll be more than happy to carry all over Wilmington with no fear of going to jail. I'll even go to the mall if they don't have signs posted. I'll make a shopping day of it. I dunno if I like your reasons for not carrying openly, though. My guard is up no matter how I'm carrying, and whether I am carrying or not...you'd be hard pressed to catch me off guard, period. I hope you don't keep your guard down just because you're concealed. On top of that, I LIKE letting other people know that I'm armed. You would have to be stupid to try something on a guy that you KNOW is armed, and I would much rather only deal with the stupid ones. Gives me ANOTHER edge on 'em.

Anyway with a little training and practice you can be prepared on the off chance that some idiot would be dumb enough to try to grab your gun. How often do you practice retention for your concealed weapon? I bet ya don't.

Anyway it's your choice on how you want to carry. I will say, though, that there was a time when a true gentleman had no reason to hide his sidearm. Thats why I don't hide mine.

Oh, and who's on a soap box?

Quote Originally Posted by JM40.Cal View Post
    lol I'll be more than happy to carry all over Wilmington with no fear of going to jail. I'll even go to the mall if they don't have signs posted. I'll make a shopping day of it. I dunno if I like your reasons for not carrying openly, though. My guard is up no matter how I'm carrying, and whether I am carrying or not...you'd be hard pressed to catch me off guard, period. I hope you don't keep your guard down just because you're concealed. On top of that, I LIKE letting other people know that I'm armed. You would have to be stupid to try something on a guy that you KNOW is armed, and I would much rather only deal with the stupid ones. Gives me ANOTHER edge on 'em.

Anyway with a little training and practice you can be prepared on the off chance that some idiot would be dumb enough to try to grab your gun. How often do you practice retention for your concealed weapon? I bet ya don't.

Anyway it's your choice on how you want to carry. I will say, though, that there was a time when a true gentleman had no reason to hide his sidearm. Thats why I don't hide mine.
    Oh please don't go there. I have logged more than 1000 hours of training with professional schools, and have trained with numerous law enforcement agencies from handgun, to tactical shotgun, and assault rifle. I began sniper training as well and lost that contact when I moved here.

I have been trained by professionals on weapon retention.

Save the lecture for someone you have confirmed does not practice or keeps up with their training.

Your philosophy is so flawed it could be dangerous. ANY LEO can tell you that you will LOSE your battle if someone has the drop on you. You cannot be prepared at all times, no matter how hard you train. Someone that KNOWS you have a firearm can mount their attack baswed on KNOWING you have a firearm.

With your philosophy, there should NEVER be a time when a cop gets offed on the side of the road. A cop should never be ambushed. Yet, there are countless acoountings of these things happening.

The law forces some to carry openly, but the true reasoning of carrying concealed is so that no one knows who is aremed and who is not. Carrying openly IMHO is only for those times when the law prohibits you from carrying concealed. So, COWBOY, please research your subjects before you accuse people of not training or practicing or keeping up with proficiency.

Gimme a break!

Default Hey Guys...

I think this is a thread about the particulars of North Carolina Law and how and where you may or may not carry. Please don't turn it in to a Δ!¢K waving contest about training and proficiency. I think the whole point of concealed carry and the second amendment in general is that everyone is entitled to the same rights that you are regardless if they have had thousands of hours of training or not.
    Last edited by dubccat51; 11-02-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dubccat51 View Post
    I think this is a thread about the particulars of North Carolina Law and how and where you may or may not carry. Please don't turn it in to a Δ!ĘK waving contest about training and proficiency. Everyone is entitled to the same rights that you are regardless if they have had thousands of hours of training or not.

This banter is about North Carolina Laws. You must read deep into the thread before you determine it is not. Although all have the right to Carry, not everyone has the right to carry concealed. That is a priviledge granted by the State.

The only mention of training came forward as the previous poster questiones someone's training because of a firm belief in that opn carry can bring about undesirable problems.

One may have the RIGHT to carry openly, but will not be devoid of public and or police scrutiny.

Do you not support his right to open carry if he so chooses?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast