Teen suspended for wearing rosary beads to school
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Teen suspended for wearing rosary beads to school

This is a discussion on Teen suspended for wearing rosary beads to school within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Main Category category; Teen Suspended For Wearing Rosary Beads To School Administration Bars Students From Wearing Beads Because They May Be Gang-Related SCHENECTADY, ...

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation Teen suspended for wearing rosary beads to school

Teen Suspended For Wearing Rosary Beads To School
    Administration Bars Students From Wearing Beads Because They May Be Gang-Related
    SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (CBS) ―
    Teen Suspended For Wearing Rosary Beads To School - wcbstv.com
    [Click to zoom.] Click to enlarge
    1 of 1
    Raymond Hosier, 13, was suspended from his Schenectady, N.Y. school for wearing rosary beads. The school said students are barred from wearing beads because they may be gang-related.

A 13-year-old New York student was suspended for wearing rosary beads to school.

Raymond Hosier was sent home for two days over the religious symbol, visible outside his clothing.

His school district in Schenectady said students are not allowed to wear beads out of concern they may be gang-related. Hosier, however, said they're comforting since the loss of his brother and uncle.

"I was just mad that they were suspending me for rosary beads and I told them I wasn't in a gang and they must resemble my brother and uncle," he said.

Hosier said he refuses to take them off, and he could be suspended again if he wears them to school on Monday.

The story drew plenty of buzz on CBS 2's Facebook page. Fans were speaking out against the school's decision, posting comments on our wall.

Brenda Torres wrote: "What is this world cominig to? I used to wear mine without any issues? :("

Jennifer Miserendino understands the school's policy, writing: "sorry but if there really is a gang affiliation with wearing the roasary then I am on their side - if he needs it for comfort then he should put it inside his backpack and wear a cross."

WHERE IS THE ACLU IN FIGHTING FOR THIS KIDS RIGHTS? IF THIS ISN'T AN OVERT ATTACK ON CHRISTIANITY BY ATTACKING THE OLDEST FORM OF ORGANIZED CHURCHES...I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS?
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

The American Communist Liars Union will not do anything.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Marissa is offline Banned

I understand the rule against beads for gang reasons. But this is not a black and white world we live in. The school administrators HAVE to be able to see shades of grey. This poor kid. Good for him for sticking to his guns!!

wolfhunter Guest

As was said in another thread,"Zero tolerance = Zero Thought." It's a way of avoiding the responsibility of making a decision.

Exclamation

If they will let Muslims women cover their faces in school for religious reasons then they must also by law allow the rosary beads or demand the removal of the face covers as well.... and that would be actual 0 tolerance.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

wolfhunter Guest

Realizing the corollary between her facial covering and his rosary would require the use of more brain cells than the teacher's union allows.

theicemanmpls is offline Banned

Default Follow the school rules

The Rules say you can't wear any beads. Period. Rules are Rules.
    The young man could of put the rosary in his pocket. They put in on after leaving school

Wearing of a Rosary that one actually uses to pray is neither uncommon nor sacrilegious in various Roman Catholic-adherent cultures and was a common practice in the Medieval and Renaissance periods, particularly among the religious (monks, nuns, and friars). Rosaries are also worn hanging from or looped over a belt, particularly with some religious habits, pinned to and hanging from a shoulder or neckline, or wrapped around a wrist or arm as a bracelet. Some Catholic Christians feel that it is sacrilegious for a non-believer to wear a rosary around the neck.[citation needed] This is particularly true in Roman Catholic cultures that have histories of persecution, particularly among the Irish and English Catholics. Because Irish Catholic tradition is often seen as normative in the United States and Canada, this has been the source of some conflict in the past. The Roman Catholic Church states: "Sacred objects, set aside for divine worship by dedication or blessing, are to be treated with reverence. They are not to be made over to secular or inappropriate use, even though they may belong to private persons".[47] Thus it is acceptable to wear a rosary if one is doing so to show veneration, however it is not acceptable if one is wearing the rosary irreverently, such as wearing it as a piece of jewelry. Many saints have worn their rosary around the neck, and in the Secret of the Rosary, it is mentioned that a person put his rosary around his neck to keep demons away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Realizing the corollary between her facial covering and his rosary would require the use of more brain cells than the teacher's union allows.

+1.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Cocked _and_Locked is offline Parts Maker

How does enforcing a rule intended to supress gang activity become an asault on Christianity?

I suppose distinguishing that relationship requires more brain cells than the average paranoid Christian has at their disposal.

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation A rosary is an article of faith...

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    How does enforcing a rule intended to supress gang activity become an asault on Christianity?

I suppose distinguishing that relationship requires more brain cells than the avaerage paranoid Christian has at their disposal.
    A rosary is an article of faith...I am not Catholic but I have a deep respect for those that are. Just as the Star of David is an article of faith for Jews(people I also have a deep respect for)

Any attempt to ban articles of faith from accepted forms of religion is an outright attack on freedom of speech. It is an outright attack on freedom of religion. It is an outright attack on American values Guaranteed by the first amendment.

You are right it does take more than one braincell to think past lunch. It takes a lot of thought to actually respect religions that you are not a part of and do not fully understand.

You just mock what you do not understand.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast