Westboro Baptist Church - Page 3

View Poll Results: Should Westboro Baptist Church be allowed to continue their hateful protests?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 21.21%
  • No

49 74.24%
  • Not Sure

1 1.52%
  • Dont Care

2 3.03%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Westboro Baptist Church

This is a discussion on Westboro Baptist Church within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm sorry, but as scuzzy as these people are, you can't argue that the 2nd Amendment gives you an absolute ...

I'm sorry, but as scuzzy as these people are, you can't argue that the 2nd Amendment gives you an absolute right to firearms and then say that the 1st Amendment somehow can be limited to speech you approve of ... The Bill of Rights was written by brilliant men and the freedom we have today to criticize our government comes from the fact that the 1st Amendment is pretty much blanket permission to speak your mind, outside of things like the old "fire in a crowded theater" saw ... these people, as reprehensible as they are, have a point of view ... I hate what they do, but if we say they can't speak freely ... you're next ...
    "Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective

I believe people have the right and liberty to bury their beloved in peace, the this law is encroching on that freedom, therefore it is wrong. white people don't have fredom of speech at a black gathering, why is this?

Quote Originally Posted by hjjusa View Post
    I believe people have the right and liberty to bury their beloved in peace, the this law is encroching on that freedom, therefore it is wrong. white people don't have fredom of speech at a black gathering, why is this?
    People don't seem to understand how the Constitution works ... it's the document which, along with the Bill of Rights, is the key controlling script for our form of government ... the Supreme Court is there to determine whether actions brought before it are protected by the Constitution or are not ... in this case, they have decided that the 1st Amendment is NOT violated when the wack jobs from Westboro demonstrate at military funerals ... there is no law per se involved, simply a ruling on whether the protests meet the standards of 2nd Amendment protected speech ... not sure what the above meant about "whites ... at a black gathering." But let me make another point ... even in the worst dictatorships, people can do WHATEVER they want, they simply have to be prepared to face the consequences ... thus, you are perfectly free to use the "n" word at a black power rally or kick a few Westboro butts, you simply have to be prepared to face the music. In the first case, good luck; in the Westboro case, assault charges afterwards (if they catch you) ... freedom of speech is what it is, one of the most wonderful gifts given us by the founders ... I'm a veteran and am totally opposed to Westboro's actions, but denying them the right to express their point of view is as unAmerican as it gets ...
    "Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hjjusa View Post
    white people don't have fredom of speech at a black gathering, why is this?
    Can you site an example of this? The ACLU routinely defends the KKK's right to have parades through NYC. After all nothing says "white power" quite like, Jewish ACLU Lawyer.

santa is offline santa

Please, lets keep the race garbage out of this.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Part of the Westboro bunch showed up at a funeral for one of our local fallen heroes, Sgt. Jason McCluskey, Bronze Star, US Army.

They were treated in the way that all cities should treat them. Law enforcement was out in force as well as hundreds of local folks from McAlester. Actually thousands, according to some reports.

Our law enforcement made sure they were not a problem whereas, in other cities, law enforcement was part of the problem. Our Mayor made sure they were not a problem, whereas, in other cities, the city fathers were part of the problem.

This link is to one story, others can be viewed also.

Somehow all the tires on their van became flat.

They were kept over a block from the church and were surrounded by motorcycles, who kept their chants and yelling drowned out. They never actually got to even see the family of Sgt. McCluskey and more important, the family did not see them.

Their constitutional rights were not infringed upon (I don't think there is a constitutional right to air in your tires) but they did not bother the family. We are a small town, but we support our own.

They actually came back later and protested the air missing from their tires, fully surrounded by local law enforcement. That was also a non event.

I think the publicity is what they are after and if they stopped being in the papers, they might slow down their stupid protests.

They came back to Oklahoma and protested at the funeral of a baby who had nothing to do with the Military. That is the kind of people they are.

First Amendment all the way. Can't budge on this as with the Second Amendment. I do believe there a easy way to intercede with this group. Where ever they're protesting, encircle them with masses of Christians. Get all the churches in the area to completely envelop these people. This will drown out their voice and will also bring different denominations together for a good cause. JMHO..............
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Well, I voted "No" but it's a moot point now that the SCOTUS has spoken. Still don't like it but if it's a matter of allowing their protests to stand versus weakening the 1A, it's a no brainer. Which I guess is why the vote was 8 - 1.

3X PM

Quote Originally Posted by Skywarrior View Post
    I think you have the right to free speech but at a funeral is not the right place.
    Try your free speech at a MLK event or a Gay Pride event and you are going to get you butt kicked or your face slapped.

The Patriot Guard Riders will be at more funerals to protect the families of the fallen searvice members now.

Check out patriot gaurd riders you don't have to be a biker to join.
    I'm not a biker, but as a veteran and a citizen, I don't want to see our fallen soldiers disrespected.
    The scum from Westboro are as repulsive as Jane Fonda.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast