Proper way to teach a child about respect and the use of firearms?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Proper way to teach a child about respect and the use of firearms?

This is a discussion on Proper way to teach a child about respect and the use of firearms? within the Off-Topic forums, part of the Main Category category; I'll just let you watch this and judge it on its own merits. Father Teaches Daughter Lesson About Facebook*Video...

Default Proper way to teach a child about respect and the use of firearms?

I'll just let you watch this and judge it on its own merits.

Father Teaches Daughter Lesson About Facebook*Video
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Exclamation

Apparently this remindes one of my facebook friends of me, because I'm always posting 2nd Amendment related things. This was my reply:

No doubt that what the girl said was disrespectful. I'm sure she's exaggerating just how hard she has to work. But I'm sure the dad is exaggerating just how easy she has it and how simple the chores are, too.

Shooting the laptop? Seriously? A firearm is a tool for sport (such as hunting), recreation (such as target shooting), or self-defense. I support the right to bear arms for these and other legitimate purposes up to and including the overthrow of one's government, should it deteriorate into tyranny.

But intimidating one's teenage daughter is not a legitimate purpose. This guy is an overbearing, vindictive a__h_le. I doubt he'll ever have a meaningful relationship with his daughter. I understand the sentiment driving him...but as the adult, he needs to learn to direct his anger more constructively, and find ways to educate and discipline his daughter without HUMILIATING her in a way that literally the entire world can see.

I hope that the only thing I have in common with this man is that we both carry a .45 caliber pistol.
    She responded with:

What she did was just as bad in what she posted. I agree that a laptop is not a good item to choose for target practice. I meant no disrespect to you. The only correlation was the fire arm and I know that the right to bear arms is important to you.
    My response:

No disrespect taken.

I disagree that what the girl wrote was as bad. She is a 15 year old girl, bitching to her peers about her parents. Disrespectful, yes. Childish words, coming from a child.

What her father did was far worse. Childish vindictive actions from an adult.

- Posting a humiliating video
    - Using a firearm for intimidation
    - Running up "debt" on her behalf. "You'll pay me for this laptop, the software, and the bullets I used to shoot it, and you'll buy your own new laptop." (About $8-10 worth of ammunition, by the way.)
    - Grounding her for 3 months (Either he's being WAY harsh, or he'll renege within a week or two...either way, damaging the relationship further.)

And that's just off the top of my head.

Another question that comes to mind. Did she WANT the computer for school? Or did she NEED it for school? A lot of school systems require laptops now.

A more proportional response: Ground her for a couple of weeks. Delete her Facebook account. Add extra chores (unless she was actually telling the truth about how much work she does.)
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I think parents are starting to get back on the parenting wagon. It's been to long that people have let their kids do what they want because they don't want to hurt their kids feelings.

This dad uses his daughter's phone as a baseball.
    Dad Goes Crazy After Reading Daughter's Texts*Video
    I'm not a lawyer so take it for what it's worth. For legal advice ask a lawyer.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Those who accept second best must learn to live with mediocrity. - pafindr

I don't disagree with all that you said, but I don't think he was using his weapon to intimidate the girl. I do think his reaction was a bit extreme, and might have been handled differently, but I suspect as he mentioned in the video this wasn't her first time of breaking the rules, and her disrespect caused his reaction. I personally wouldn't have shot the laptop myself, I think a better punishment was using it in front of her on a daily basis with her knowing she lost her privileges. It's unfortunate that this has become a gun issue vs. what I think it really is. Whatever everyone's opinion, he made his point, it's now national, and I can only imagine the girl is regretting ever posting that letter about her parents. Pretty sure she ( and possibly her father) have learned a valuable lesson :)

Personally, this dad is on target. Parents are getting back on the parenting wagon!! Three cheers for the dad!! Obviously, grounding her did nothing. How best to get her attention? But to take away permanently the computer. I disagree, he did not intimidate with his weapon.
    Get off the liberal crap of "don't be hard on or punish your kids". All actions in life have consequences If you post like that about your job I'm sure you would be fired

No way. Totally out of line.

What the girl did was wrong, but what the dad did was completely off track.

First, listen to his tone, his breathing, and look at his face. He is angry. And I don't mean parental angry, I mean ready to beat some guy in a bar brawl angry. He's the adult, and he needs to get a grip.

Second, if what the girl said about her chores is true, she's right to be angry. Kids need chores to learn responsibility and to learn how to take care of themselves. Gardening (growing your own food), doing your own laundry, washing your dishes daily or the whole family's dishes two or three times a week is fine. Making and pouring your parents coffee isn't. No, it's not hard, but it reeks of servanthood. So does having to make everyone's beds every day. If you treat your children like servants, they will come to resent you. In a family, everyone needs to pitch in. Everyone needs to pull their own weight, and at times pull someone else's weight, but not every day.

Facebook is the new social arena. In times past, this girl would have visited or called a friend to complain. Today, you air your grievances on Facebook. And yeah, it was a little too much. But she ought to be punished for her inappropriate language, not because she was upset with her life.

As for the firearm, obviously it was meant to illustrate a point, but the entire video and the father's actions reek of intimidation. He needs to take a breath, think things through for a day, then respond.

I can only imagine there are some serious underlying issues in this family, and a professional counselor might be in order.
    Ton up!

Quote Originally Posted by phrogmedic View Post
    Get off the liberal crap of "don't be hard on or punish your kids". All actions in life have consequences If you post like that about your job I'm sure you would be fired
    This liberal's children both have Facebook and email, and they both know that not only am I not "blocked," as this parent apparently was, but that the day I cannot log into their account and see what they're doing is the day they lose that account. Both my children have lost computers, TV privileges, cell phones, or been grounded on more than one occasion.

It's not a liberal vs. conservative thing. It's parents who buy into the whole idea that you have to be your kids' friend. You're not their friend, you're their parent. Sometimes - many times - you have to make decisions they won't like. Chances are they'll understand and appreciate it when they're older. As far as I'm concerned, if I make a decision and my daughter tells me I'm ruining her life - I've made the right decision.

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Thumbs up

LMAO! Good Job Dad! I would have preferred something a little more dramatic like 6 rounds of 00 Buckshot from a 12 gauge shotgun. Followed by some extra pounding via a sledgehammer. Then finish it off into a woodchipper. But that's just me. :)
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

CaptnBud is offline Bud

I saw this on my Facebook page. This Dad is Right On. We need more parents to stand up and take charge of their kids. A parents job is to teach children how to be responsible Adults.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    LMAO! Good Job Dad! I would have preferred something a little more dramatic like 6 rounds of 00 Buckshot from a 12 gauge shotgun. Followed by some extra pounding via a sledgehammer. Then finish it off into a woodchipper. But that's just me. :)
    Great minds think alike!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast