Transporting to Range w/o CCW

Transporting to Range w/o CCW

This is a discussion on Transporting to Range w/o CCW within the Ohio Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I am in the process of getting my CCW, but do not have it yet. When I take my firewarms ...

Default Transporting to Range w/o CCW

I am in the process of getting my CCW, but do not have it yet. When I take my firewarms to the range, is it enough to keep them in an unloaded state in an unlocked container? How should I handle transporting the firearms along with ammunition?

Of course, this will all be a relatively moot point when I get the CCW.

before i had my ccw i always kept the gun and ammo separate. Ammo in the back seat, guns in the trunk, unloaded.

Ohio law says that if you don't have a permit you must open carry in a holster on your person or unloaded, guns and ammo seperate, gun in a closed container not accessible without exiting the vehicle. It goes into a bit more detail but that is the gist of it. Google Ohio concealed carry, go to the Attorney General's page and download the CC laws manual, it's all there.

Thank you everyone.

Just remember that "unloaded" in vehicles also means no magazines with rounds in them that fit whatever guns you are transporting. It doesn't matter how physically separated the gun and magazines are, the magazines must be empty.

First of all, the answer to your question depends on where (in what State) you live.

In Montana, (without a CWP) no problem, just throw your loaded pistol in the truck (or car) and drive anywhere you want (that includes to the range). When you get there, just strap it on (MT is on OC state) and walk into the range. In Florida (without a CWFL) you can have your loaded psitol in the vehicle, but it has to be in a holster or in the glove-compartment/console, but once you get to the range, it has to be be unloaded and in a locked container (technically) for the trip from the car to the firing line. There are many commie - Pinko - NoBama-loving states that don't allow you to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, and if you live in one of them, unloaded and in a locked containr is a "safe position". So here's what I suggest... You obviously know how to use a computer and the internet, and most states' "Codes" are available on line, so go do your research, and then come back and post the result for YOUR state.

StaySafe,MG
    NRA Certified Instructor - StaySafe(tm) Training
    Pipe Hitters Union, Local 417
    Join the NRA! The Gun you save may be YOUR OWN!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGator View Post
    First of all, the answer to your question depends on where (in what State) you live.
    I was referring to Ohio. This is the "Ohio Discussion and Firearm News" sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGator View Post
    So here's what I suggest... You obviously know how to use a computer and the internet, and most states' "Codes" are available on line, so go do your research, and then come back and post the result for YOUR state.
    I did do my research. However, I wanted to compare what my conclusions were against solicited responses from individuals in this particular sub-forum. I have confirmed my conclusions. Thank you for your contribution to that comparison.

Edit: I'm reluctant to state this as I am not trying to be rude, but as a fairly new poster to this overall forum your words come across a little condescending. It may not be safe to assume that questions such as mine indicate a lack of understanding. They are simply questions.

Quote Originally Posted by uscg4good View Post
    Ohio law says that if you don't have a permit you must open carry in a holster on your person or unloaded, guns and ammo seperate, gun in a closed container not accessible without exiting the vehicle. It goes into a bit more detail but that is the gist of it. Google Ohio concealed carry, go to the Attorney General's page and download the CC laws manual, it's all there.
    This is actually not correct and could result in being charged with a fourth degree felony. I have quoted and linked the relevant section of the ORC.

ORC 2923.16

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(I) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle. ... A violation of division (B) of this section is whichever of the following is applicable:

(1) If, at the time of the transportation or possession in violation of division (B) of this section, the offender was carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the offender under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and the offender was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code, the violation is a misdemeanor of the first degree or, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (B) of this section, a felony of the fourth degree.

(2) If division (I)(1) of this section does not apply, a felony of the fourth degree.

Now ... this is a tricky bit of law but the bottom line is that you can not have any loaded guns, or any loaded magazines, speed strips, speed loaders, etc that fit any guns in the car without a CHL in Ohio.

Damonte,
    Your observations are correct. The intent may not have been to be 'condescending', but that is how I saw them. These forums are to be for open discussion and for the edification of the participants. Not everyone visiting the forum will have all the weath of knowledge that another has, but is here to share and or learn.
    In Missouri, you do not need to have a CCW to open-carry (some communities can restrict the open & loaded carry), or to carry a concealable weapon in their car (concealed or in open view), so we don't have the problem of carrying w/o a CCW to the range.
    It would be nice if all the states would just recognize "Constitutional Carry"! We really should not have to get the 'permission' of the state to carry a firearm open or concealed. But until that light-bulb is lit, we must do what we must do to carry a firearm.

John
    JPKirkpatrick
    USAF-Ret; NRA Life; CRPA Life; USA Carry Mbr;
    Oath Keepers Chrtr Mbr; USCCA Mbr; HGCA Mbr; Ret Former LEO

Quote Originally Posted by rt48 View Post
    Just remember that "unloaded" in vehicles also means no magazines with rounds in them that fit whatever guns you are transporting. It doesn't matter how physically separated the gun and magazines are, the magazines must be empty.
    Thanks for keeping posters here safe from unintentionally breaking the law.
    I was going to mention this. I am pretty sure that most or all states view a loaded magazine as a loaded gun. No matter where the magazine is located in the car. Thanks again for looking out for others!