Wife and I going out of State for her college?

Wife and I going out of State for her college?

This is a discussion on Wife and I going out of State for her college? within the Ohio Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; I just received my CCW last month, so I am consulting more experienced CCW holders with this question. My wife ...

Default Wife and I going out of State for her college?

I just received my CCW last month, so I am consulting more experienced CCW holders with this question. My wife was accepted to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. We will be moving down there for no other reason than for her to attend school (2 years or so). I will have to take a job to support us through her schooling, and we will be renting an apartment. From what I gather according to Alabama law we are not eligible to become citizens nor are we even considering staying beyond her schooling. Can anyone answer my question or have any advice as far as keeping my Ohio CCW active and usable while I am there, since I will not have a mailing address in Ohio. The only thing I have come up with is to change our permanent address to a parent, and then just have our mail come to us in AL. Anyone familiar with this process, or is it irrational thinking?

Thanks

P.S. I understand AL does not have a reciprocity agreement with us in OH, I am pursuing a NH non resident to cover this.

I guess you need a Ccw there just look up the open carry laws...

Sounds like to me that you will still be a resident of OH, especially since in that case AL won't recognize you as a citizen of that state. You have to belong somewhere.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

I have considered open carry while i'm there. I'm just not too fond of the idea personally. I have nothing against it, just a personal preference. NH non resident will cover me there in AL but i'm just concerned about the validity of my Ohio permit once I return in a few years when she is done.

cgiven1 is offline DAV-Patriot

Exactely how do you not quailify to become a resident? I can understand your wife as an out of state student and the tuition cost, yet you aren't going to school. You will be living, working and paying state income tax. I believe that makes you a state resident.
    Charlie Given
    Life Member NRA, GOA, TSRA
    Platinum Plus USCCA

As far as I understand I have to claim intent to remain in the state of Alabama indefinitely to become a resident. This is part of the residency application. And I will be moving back to Ohio when she graduates. So I should be ok right?

best wishes to you and your wife moving and all hope she is safe on college grounds school is a no gun zone but she should still carry some pepper spray or perhaps a small knife on campus and lets all hope she never needs to use it
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Much appreciated eagleeyes. I hope for the best as well. hopefully good old common sense will keep my wife and I out of all troublesome situations. For the unavoidable ones I pray for God's guidance and my training in my decision to use the Ruger.

cgiven1 is offline DAV-Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by tbarnett26 View Post
    As far as I understand I have to claim intent to remain in the state of Alabama indefinitely to become a resident. This is part of the residency application. And I will be moving back to Ohio when she graduates. So I should be ok right?
    If you maintain a domicile in the state and change your drivers license then you are considered a state resident. Residency Requirements in Alabama for State Taxes | eHow.com

The declaration of intent to stay is to reclassify your wife as a resident instead of a non-resident for the purpose of tuition cost. There is no application for you to become a resident. You do so by being domiciled and changing your drivers license. You can also register to vote in the state to further solidify your standing as a resident of the state.

If you don't really want to become a resident, you also have the option of obtaining a Utah non-resident permit which is recognized in Alabama. You can find a list of instructors in Ohio who are authorized to teach the course here. http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...tate042412.pdf

This may be a good option as Utah also is good in the nieghboring state of Missippi and Georgia and the nighbor of Ohio in PA.
    Last edited by cgiven1; 05-10-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added info
    Charlie Given
    Life Member NRA, GOA, TSRA
    Platinum Plus USCCA