Open Carry in Michigan...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Open Carry in Michigan...

This is a discussion on Open Carry in Michigan... within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Hello to all my fellow members, I was arrested for open carry in detroit, in which they say I was ...

samuelcwade is offline Sid0618

Default Open Carry in Michigan...

Hello to all my fellow members, I was arrested for open carry in detroit, in which they say I was carrying partial concealed because of the type of holster that I had, which was a uncle mikes in the pants holster but the holster was not in my pants it was cliped on my belt, but in between my pants and belt in clear public view and the said that that was partial concealment. Do anyone know if this true or not, and even if partial concealment is even a law? any help would be great, as well as and legal help like any good attorneys or any other information that would help. THANKS in Advance!!

First, Welcome to the group. I am not an Attorney and could not begin to answer your question.
    I think checking with or post a question Here, on Michigan Open Carry dot org ( Michigan Open Carry, Inc. - Index ) or Michigan Gun Owners ( Michigan Gun Owners ) for a name of a good attorney.
    Sorry I could not be anymore help. Just us posted on your progress.
    Semper Fi

handgonnetoter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by samuelcwade View Post
    Hello to all my fellow members, I was arrested for open carry in detroit, in which they say I was carrying partial concealed because of the type of holster that I had, which was a uncle mikes in the pants holster but the holster was not in my pants it was cliped on my belt, but in between my pants and belt in clear public view and the said that that was partial concealment. Do anyone know if this true or not, and even if partial concealment is even a law? any help would be great, as well as and legal help like any good attorneys or any other information that would help. THANKS in Advance!!
    Makes me wonder how many drug deals went down while Detroits finest were taking you down. What a bunch of crap! The last time I was in Detroit was in 1983, and myself and a friend were mugged at gunpoint. All we were trying to do is get to the MEPS station to get our physicals to join the service! I am sorry that that happened to you and really don't know what advice to give, but hope and pray all comes out ok with your situation.

Well, I don't think they can actually charge you with "partial concealment." But I'd say get a lawyer, and fight it. From your description, I don't think it would be considered concealed. Except of course, by some moron of a DPD officer. But that's just my opinion. :)
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Sounds like the Detroit PD is messing with you.. On a side note an incident here in BC back in the early 70's involved a guy that was tagged because his gun was in a full holster, at one time it was considered CC if the bottom of the holster was not open!!!

Things have changed a lot since then but try the Michigan Gun Owners web site and find Jim Simmons in the leagal section, he is one of the gun friendly lawyers in the area.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Get a lawyer. You don't want this on your record if they were incorrect. I do not agree with open carry, but if you do it you have legal obligations to yourself and the ones around you.
    Jason
    Michigan

You NEED a lawyer.

Try this one, He won an open carry case in Grand Haven not long ago.

Welcome to The Law Offices of Steven W. Dulan, PLC

Also you may try Dean Greenblatt
    Deans ph# is 248-644-7520 and he is VERY well versed in firearm law.
    Dean G Greenblatt Attorney
    100 Bloomfield Hills Pkwy
    Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 48304-2949

first off welcome. second, this has happened before in canton mi, with not so great ending for the person arrested. the deferents is that the holster was clipped to your belt and not tucked in to your pants. Detroit pd is known to be highly anti gun anti open carry.

krp

I want to open carry in saginaw michigan.I would love to hear from the sheriff department,State Police & township police to see if they all agree on the law!!I think if you have it open carry ,you might stop a crime from happening . The bad guy/gal, might think you could be in law enforcement or a citizen that will stop you.I fire 300 rounds a month from a 9mm,a 40 caliber,& and a 45. I am a very good shot. I shoot from 25 yards.I have also taken firearms training from several instructors. I take a refresher class every year to keep up to law changes and belong to many differnt groups that have excellant information, like open carry!I have carried cocealed for over 10 years..I have been a bail agent since 2005. I see bad guys reoffend every day, but that is my business.the crook would not commit crimes if they see over a hundred thousand armed citizens! crime is down because we carry! I want more people to open carry.
    Thank you for your time.:

No such thing as partial conceal. It would be under the brandishing law, which in your case, doesnt seem like it would apply, a holster is a holster. No where in the Michigan law does it state what type of holster you have to use for open carry, it just says in plain view, in a holster.
    IWB or OWB types do not matter....Cant stress that enough. Ive used both to openly carry, never had any type of problems. I would take that to civil court against the PD, possibly win some money, and for sure have it wiped off your record, just got to find an attorney to represent such a case whos also experienced in such cases.
    Good luck
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast