Open Carry in Alabama

Open Carry in Alabama

This is a discussion on Open Carry in Alabama within the Open Carry Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Have a CCP issued in VA. Traveling through TN to Alabama for a brief trip. Reciprocity in TN... but not ...

Default Open Carry in Alabama

Have a CCP issued in VA. Traveling through TN to Alabama for a brief trip. Reciprocity in TN... but not in Alabama. Is open carry legal in AL so I can just put my firearm on the car seat beside me? I cannot find a basic answer to this question. Thanks in advance, folks.

Cool

Hey Dude: I have been doing a little research into this problem and have found that, regardless of what law enforcement agency you call, you will get a different answer. My sheriff says open carry in legal; the municipal police department says no. One says you can carry your weapon loaded in your car if you have a CCL, another says you can't. We have such a mish-mash in this area that one can not feel he is in compliance with the law. I told a State Trooper what the State law says about weapons carry and he told me I was wrong, even with me reading it chapter and verse. Guess you have to take your chances and hope you are stopped by a reasonable LEO who is a staunch 2d Amendment supporter.

I'm not about to encourage you to break the law, but my experience with LEO's in other states and out-of-state permits is that most of them just want to see a certified carry permit. Not all officers are educated in reciprocity laws and sometimes just let you go when you show a carry permit from your own state.

Tackleberry561 is offline Tackleberry

It is legal to Open Carry in Alabama , But you have to watch out for the city Ordinance's. Each City is different.
    We need to go back to the "Old West" Where Nothing was ever said"
    Its Better To Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It.